Hyalite conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
ExcitableBoy

Hyalite conditions?

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:17 pm

I am planning an ice climbing trip to Hyalite Canyon over the Thanksgiving weekend (Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday this year so I get a four day holiday!). The weather seems pretty warm right now, though. Do any locals have an idea if any climbs might be in shape by then, or should I plan on climbing at Smith Rock?

Thanks,

EB

WyomingSummits

Re: Hyalite conditions?

by WyomingSummits » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:12 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:I am planning an ice climbing trip to Hyalite Canyon over the Thanksgiving weekend (Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday this year so I get a four day holiday!). The weather seems pretty warm right now, though. Do any locals have an idea if any climbs might be in shape by then, or should I plan on climbing at Smith Rock?

Thanks,

EB

Not sure about Hyalite, but down here in northern WY we're still snow free. Most alpine rock and peaks in the Bighorns are largely snow free. Awesome opportunity for alpine granite in snow free 30 degree weather. Of course that could change any minute.

b.

by b. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:16 am

Things can happen pretty fast up there. Weather was moving today and the temps have been down of late. It's hard to predict but much of the climbing can form in just a few days of not very cold. This area is pretty well known for tight-lipped beta sharing on the web, and I haven't been up there this year. The alpine climbs have come and gone once already, but could form again easily. If you are game for adventure, there is almost always something to climb up there by Turkey Day. But you know, global warming or whatever.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:36 am

b.

I never got those Photos showing your version of the Mystic Equinox Tower route!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)