Iceland advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Arthur Digbee

Iceland advice

by Arthur Digbee » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:43 pm

I'll be in Reykjavik on business in late June and will take a couple extra days to explore things -- but what?

SP has some sites but they are mostly in the eastern half of the country. I'd rather spend my time hiking/climbing/camping rather than sitting on a bus to get to the east. Any ideas?

If I can use BSI instead of renting a car that would be ideal.

rpc

by rpc » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:52 pm

pm Brian Jenkins.

The Defiant One

by The Defiant One » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:55 pm

we were able to rent a car for pretty cheap and just drove toward Vik stopping to climb or hike whatever we could see from the road. spent two days crusing around, exploring some glacier, living it up.

Iceland is trying (very hard) to increase its tourism revenues (diversifying from only fish exports) and there are many tourism offices all over that can give maps and suggestions. We stayed pretty near to the coast, but i wish we'd ventured into the "highlands". It's a spectacular country and you'll have a stellar time no matter what.

Enjoy.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:39 am

The Defiant One wrote:we were able to rent a car for pretty cheap

Was this a high-clearance 4WD? Every source I've found (including Jenkins' pages) says that those are both essential and expensive.

How did you find the price?

The Defiant One

by The Defiant One » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:45 am

not at all, it was a toyota yaris. It handled two fairly rugged roads to a glacier and a waterfall, but if you go to the highlands, you'll want something better

We just walked around downtown and asked around for the cheapest deal. I think it was $65 US per day or something - some kind of a special deal maybe

Return to Europe