Ideas for a 7 day eastern hike?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mosman

Re: Ideas for a 7 day eastern hike?

by mosman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:22 am

Have you checked out the Laurel Highlands hiking trail in western PA? We did the 70 mile trail in 5 days pretty comfortably. (Now 78 miles b/c of a detour due to bridge being out which crossed over PA turnpike) It is almost all below tree line so not much in the way of views compared to some of the others, but it would offer you almost complete solitude, especially on the weekdays, has awesome lean-to shelters with stone fireplaces so you wouldn't even really need to carry a tent and if you want to make it more laid-back I could clue you into some cool bars/pizza places that you could walk to within a couple of hundred yards of the trail at some of the road crossings.

The following user would like to thank mosman for this post
mmcguigan

mmcguigan

by mmcguigan » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:14 am

mosman wrote:Have you checked out the Laurel Highlands hiking trail in western PA? We did the 70 mile trail in 5 days pretty comfortably. (Now 78 miles b/c of a detour due to bridge being out which crossed over PA turnpike) It is almost all below tree line so not much in the way of views compared to some of the others, but it would offer you almost complete solitude, especially on the weekdays, has awesome lean-to shelters with stone fireplaces so you wouldn't even really need to carry a tent and if you want to make it more laid-back I could clue you into some cool bars/pizza places that you could walk to within a couple of hundred yards of the trail at some of the road crossings.

Thanks mosman! If we take that route I'll definately ask for some of the "restops" along the way.

chocodove

by chocodove » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:13 am

Auto, where was that last photo you posted taken?

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:18 am

chocodove wrote:Auto, where was that last photo you posted taken?

I'll guess Saddlback / Basin???

Previous

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)