LA Region Class III

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tedryan10

LA Region Class III

by tedryan10 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Anyone familiar with fun Class III routes within an hour or so of LA? I've done Strawberry Peak. With a new job with a lot less free time I'll be embracing more local stuff, hopefully Baldy, Jacinto & Tahquitz for some ski weekends later in the season but am searching for some semi-dry scrambles within easy reach.

spapagiannis

Re: LA Region Class III

by spapagiannis » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:13 am

Not sure what the snow situation is this right now since I've moved away. However in drier weather, here's some ideas:

- Falling Rock Canyon (via Icehouse) is supposed to be a favorite (then gain the ridge to Ontario Peak) - I say 'supposed' because a buddy and I screwed that up and ended up climbing a steep Class 4ish chute. I did go back and recon the access point later and FRC actually looks quite fun.

- Iron Mountain (listed on SP as Iron Mountain #1) has a route up the SW ridge via Alison Mine. I haven't done it myself, though Augie has a nice detail of the route. I'd love to try it sometime when the days are longer. There's also a North and NE route, though not sure how much Class 3 it is.

- Register Ridge on Baldy doesn't qualify as a scramble except for one spot, though it's a nice Class 2ish ridge hike, just for a change of pace.

- For the really adventurous there's a hike/scramble to the Triplet Rocks from Twin Peaks - though from what I understand that section from the East Twin to the Rocks very arduous and might involve some short Class 4.

That's all I got. There's probably other scrambles, especially over near San G and San J, though I'm just not aware of what they are. Hopefully those help though!

no avatar
tedryan10

Re: LA Region Class III

by tedryan10 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Sounds cool, thanks! Should keep me busy for a time.

Return to California