lightwieght 20 degree bag

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
kiwiw

lightwieght 20 degree bag

by kiwiw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 am

anyone use this bag system?
http://store.mpgear.com/goliteultra20de ... g2008.aspx

I've been recruited for a pickets traverse next summer, and I realized I need a new lightweight bag for summer alpine mountaineering. this looks really good.

does it come in a long version? I'm 6.5

how does it attach to the sleeping pad? a nylon sleeve or something?

labgloves

by labgloves » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:39 am

I got this bag over the summer and have used it for ~12 nights total down to a low of ~15 °F. I really liked the bag and have been reasonably warm every night. The quilt has a complete section at the foot and your pad fits in there. Along the rest of the quilt, 3 adjustable straps allow you to pull the sides of the quilt tight around the pad. Its pretty important to do this, otherwise drafts will cool you during the night – but the process is pretty easy/quick/intuitive.

A word of caution, I'm a really warm sleeper. I was comfortable every night - but wore a fair amount of clothing to bed on the coldest nights. (Good thermals, a fleece jacket, extra socks and a hat.)

The bag probably isn't for everyone, but I really like it. It packs smaller than a 1 L nalgene and is very light.

I'm 6'2'' and have the long - which is about right for me.

Hope this helps.

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:22 am

I would be sleeping with all my clothes on. It looks good for the price (under $200) and weight. I can sleep pretty well no matter what (rocks, cold, wet) it's ams that gives me trouble in the mountains. on a scale of one to ten 10 being a standered 20 degree bag with a bottom and one beingfreezing your ass off with nothing where does this bag fit?

Return to Gear