Lilley Pass?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Luciano136

Lilley Pass?

by Luciano136 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:48 am

Does anyone know if Lilley Pass currently has snow? I once scree slogged to the top of the pass, which was quite awful. Since it was late in the day, I didn't actually get up to Kearsarge Peak, so I wouldn't mind giving it another go this weekend.

brichardsson

Re: Lilley Pass?

by brichardsson » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:10 pm

we were there a month ago to the day, and the pass was dry. there was snow in the golden trout lakes basin basin, and there was snow in the chute to climber's right of the pass - we actually used that for our climb, but got blocked from further progress by a large & deep unstable snow slab at the exit. as warm as it has been lately, i would be very surprised if snow will be a problem at this point.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

The following user would like to thank brichardsson for this post
Luciano136

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks! I was actually hoping for snow but if I remember well, it faces south so not surprised it's melted out.

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:01 am

I was just there last weekend, totally dry. Stay to the right at first, there are some more solid rocks you can kinda step (leap?) from one to the next, then traverse over higher up angling for the rock slabs/towers in the middle. Avoid the chutes on either side and climb the rock, Class 3. Not too bad of a slog if you do that.

The following user would like to thank ExploreABitMore for this post
Luciano136

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 am

ExploreABitMore wrote:I was just there last weekend, totally dry. Stay to the right at first, there are some more solid rocks you can kinda step (leap?) from one to the next, then traverse over higher up angling for the rock slabs/towers in the middle. Avoid the chutes on either side and climb the rock, Class 3. Not too bad of a slog if you do that.

Thanks for the tip! I did one of those chutes towards the left back in the day; holy sand hell LOL Great for going down but up was awful.

Return to California