March Weather in Placid

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
beaudittl

March Weather in Placid

by beaudittl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Hey all. I'm headed into the high peaks with a few buddies this coming week. The weather calls for almost 40 degrees on most of the days we're considering being there. Any suggestions for gear? I don't wanna dress too heavy, but still wanna have something for the summit. Carry extra in my pack? Any info. appreciated.

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:17 pm

(checks profile) Oh. You're 18. Don't worry, you'll learn. Seriously, clothing choices are fairly individual, and that kind of weather is particularly tough. Wear stuff you won't overheat in, and carry stuff you can survive the night in. Knowing my own pace and propensity to sweat, I'd go with gaiters, light fleece pants, light fleece top, hat and gloves, and pack windproof layers for top and bottom plus a warmer jacket, and spare gloves, and probably a balaclava and goggles in case it's windy on the summit. Don't know if you'll need snowshoes or not.

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:25 am

I never would venture above treeline in the high peaks in March without full winter gear. It can be sunny and 40F in Lake Placid and well below zero wind chill on the summit. Lots of layers are the key.....and enough pack to carry them in. Have fun!

beaudittl

by beaudittl » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks a lot guys, that's the plan I was going to go with. I already learned in my short time hiking not to underestimate mother nature...especially in the High Peaks.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)