Mount Whitney and the Sierra Nevadas may 2015

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Red Dragons

Mount Whitney and the Sierra Nevadas may 2015

by Red Dragons » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:23 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum first post.
A friend and I are headed to the Sierra Nevadans in mid May of this year. We are from Canada and it's our first trip down we are going to be there for a week and mount Whitney Is a must climb but I have some questions any help and advise would be appreciated. We are both skilled scramblers but have just gotten into climbing so we do not want to climb this trip for safety reasons. We are also trying to do day hikes only to pack light and peak fast.

1. What other mountains in the area do you recommend?

2. Should we start off with climbing a 9 or 10000' peak to get climatized before going to 14000?

3. I understand there will still be snow and am bringing crampons are ice axes a must.

4. What kind of weather can we expect I know it's spring and so we could get a storm but what kind of temps are the averige?

5. What kind of book should I get as a peaking guide? Also what maps do you recommend?

6. Any info on permits where is the office excetera? ( I'm calling the parks office when we get our date set next week)

7. Anything else that could be good info for our journey tips, gear choices anythig at all?

asmrz

Re: Mount Whitney and the Sierra Nevadas may 2015

by asmrz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:05 am

1. Lone Pine Peak, Mallory and Irvine, Langley, Russell, Thor Peak, all in the vicinity of Whitney.

2. That depends how comfortable you are above 13,000". If you must ask, then yes, do something before Whitney.

3. Yes, crampons and ice ax are a must.

4. May is usually warm. If you hit the range on a high (atmospheric that is), conditions can be balmy. About the same as the very high peaks in the Canadian Rockies in the early summer. Sudden (winter like) storms can hit in May with snow and winter conditions. Be prepared for both.

5. RJ Secor, High Sierra Peaks Passes and Trails, Third Edition.

6. Permits can be obtained at Lone Pine Ranger Station (almost) at the base of Whitney.

Whitney by the regular route is not difficult, just a long hike. Mountaineer's Route is a bit more involved. Everything else is technical climbing.

All of the peaks mentioned are pretty high and the weather is the deciding factor, also what kind of winter we will end up having. So far, it's been terrible. No snow. That could help you in May if it stays that way.
If it starts dumping in March, getting to these peaks in early to mid May might be a lot of FUN....

Hope you enjoy your Sierra trip. Cheers, Alois.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
Red Dragons

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:15 am

An AT ski setup if winter ever gets in gear. Eastside backcountry skiing in the Spring is some of the best in the US.

no avatar
Red Dragons

by Red Dragons » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 am

Thanks asmrz.
I'll see if I can find that book locally if not I will order it to help plan the trip. I have no problem at 10000 feet but have never climbed anything higher and I know there is a big difference between 10000 and 14000. We will do one or two lower elevation hikes and camp at a higher elevation to try and get climatized. We also plan on doing some local climbing with crampons and pick up some ice axes.. I have been looking into mountaineers route and that is the root we plan on taking. I would like to keep in touch with you if you don't mind as it gets closer to may to get updates on conditions.
Thanks for the help

no avatar
Red Dragons

by Red Dragons » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:52 am

Thanks 96avs01
Not sure if AV skiing is for me my skiing skills are not the greatest on the hill let alone a mountain with potential bear rock and other obsticals.
Thanks for the post tho

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:46 am

In addition to Secor's book, which Alois recommended, Peter Croft's "The Good, the Great and the Awesome" will get you psyched about climbing in the Sierra. Whitney is probably the most popular peak to climb in the Sierra, if not the US, and to climb it legally you need a permit, so if you want to climb in May apply for a permit now. Note that, while it's several hours drive North of the Sierra, May can be a good time to climb Mt. Shasta which is an excellent snow climb. Another non-technical high peak in the area you might consider is White Mountain Peak, which is across Owens Valley from the main Sierra crest and is the third highest mountain in California. It could be a good acclimatizaiton climb for Whitney and the other peaks in the area.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
Red Dragons

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:23 pm

JHH60

wonderful idea re. White Mountain. If the snow levels remain poor for the season, White Mountain would be an excellent acclimatization hike to 14,000. If you were to stay on or near the summit overnight, you are set. Good suggestion.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Reminder: Most/All routes on Whitney and some on Russell require a permit that is issued through a lottery. Lottery applications are accepted from February 1 to March 15. See http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5150055

no avatar
Red Dragons

by Red Dragons » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:14 am

We are looking at White mountain to acclimatize but we really didn't want to camp on the mountain over night. We plan on going back to the car and campground every night. We are flying in and am trying to limit the amount of gear we need to bring. We can buy what we need at Walmart for cheap. Is this a good idea? I looked at getting the book "The Good, the Great and the Awesome" will get you psyched about climbing in the Sierra but unfortunately its $433 Canadian that must be one hell of a book at that price.
Looking at other posts we keep see potential avalanche danger, do we need to be concerned about this?
We are booking our permits tonight. Thanks for the heads up.
I hope everyone keeps posting on this thread buddy and I are already getting excited and any more info is greatly appreciated.
RED DRAGONS

Deb

by Deb » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:47 am

It only takes a few hours to walk up White Mtn Peak from the Barcroft gate, you can sleep in your car there or just deal with the bumpy drive up and back (hopefully no flat tires) from Big Pine. But be advised that Memorial Day Wkend is notorious for nice snow storms and high winds, so access to many trailheads by vehicle could be an issue, and in some cases you might not even want to attempt a peak during these conditions.
Where are you flying into? There's a K-Mart in Bishop, don't count on finding what you need but there are plenty of fine gear shops along the 395 from Lone Pine to Mammoth.
And yes, you may have to be concerned with avalanche issues if/when it finally snows worth a shit. But always be ready for a fair amount of ice on trails in May.
For lower elevation peaks, there are several available below 12,000' out of Bishop - Bishop Pass Trail, Sabrina, and Lamarck Lakes will get you access. Paiute Pass has some a bit taller.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:23 am

Deb covered a bunch of what I was about to mention. I'll leave most of it for emphasis.

http://www.summitpost.org/eastern-sierra/154084

Do test out how you feel at 12000, 13000, 14000, if conditions permit, but don't stress about the acclimatization and where you sleep if you are patient enough to save Whitney and any other 14ers for later in your trip. You'll know if you'll be fine by then and likely be well adapted. There are plenty of camping opportunities in the 8,000-10,000 foot range to help you adjust to altitude. Sleeping high may not matter if you are patient about when to do 14ers and go at a turtle pace on those hikes. Furthermore, don't be fooled into thinking that 14ers are more fun and scenic than 12ers and 13ers. White is less than exciting. Langley is less than thrilling by easiest trail route. Whitney's easiest trail route is more interesting than White and Langley, but the Mountaineers Route and some of the other mentioned peaks in the Whitney area are much more exciting if within your abilities and gear under whatever the conditions end up being.

White Mountain is a good suggestion as an easy acclimatization test and experience.  It is more barren than the Sierra, but does have the bristelcone pines to check out along the drive to the trailhead, has great views of the Sierra across Owens Valley, is a unique experience, is less crowded, is less likely to have much snow, and is a safe hike on a road.  It is a far longer, rougher driving experience than Sierra trailheads, but if not snow covered, is a 2WD road (closed if much snow).  Don't be tempted to race the dirt portion in a rental car with no spare and end up with a flat.  Grandview Campground up there is pleasant and somewhat high, but a solid hour drive or more from your hike and be aware it has no water.

You will be there a week, are looking for dayhikes, are skilled scramblers, and if the snowpack is paltry enough there could be several other worthwhile Sierra peaks or hikes not mentioned yet that you could fit in.  May is less crowded than summer, but I personally tend to avoid the crowd and permit hassles of the Whitney zone.  Don't get me wrong, do Whitney and some of those other peaks near it; the area and those peaks are great, just not necessarily better than less famous areas. As mentioned, check out the Inyo National Forest Whitney permit lottery online right away. Langley (mentioned) while not as exciting, is a good warm up for Whitney and tends to have less snow than places farther north.  Also likely to your advantage, it has little steep, north facing terrain via New Army Pass.  That hike has lots of flat terrain. The Horseshoe Meadow campgrounds are good for acclimatization.

Mountaineers Route description can be found in the Mountaineers Route folder after clicking into the main Whitney Portal Store Message Board Section (the one at the top). Also in that message board are general info. and condition reports:
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/whitney-messageBoard.html

Webcam Peaks and MR landmarks labeled:
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/wc_notes.htm

As mentioned there are great areas north of Whitney, but chances of deep snowpack and storms generally increases as you move north. May is usually too early for an easy trip.

Onion Valley campground and trails are high, good for acclimatization, and beautiful.  Kearsarge Pass and Gould are easy.  University and Dragon are more challenging, but probably within your ability if conditions allow.  Beyond those, ambitious and fit hikers can get to stunning areas a bit deeper into Kings Canyon NP in a dayhike, but not if slowed by snow. Ask or research if interested. 

North Fork of Big Pine Creek brings you views of the Palisades!  

South Lake trailhead out of Bishop has great peak opportunities like Agassiz, Goode, Chocolate, and Cloudripper.  Bishop Pass and Dusy Basin is a scenic hike even without tagging peaks.  Nearby, Sabrina trailhead and North Lake trailhead have excellent hikes. If already open, North Lake campground is high and nice.  Piute Pass to Muriel Lake area is scenic.  There are peaks to tag if up to it. Evolution Canyon over Lamarck Col.  is stunning. Mt. Lamarck could be tagged.

Rock Creek Road brings you to stunning high altitude trailheads, campgrounds, hikes into Little Lakes Valley, Ruby Lake, Mt. Starr, and Mt. Morgan, not to mention harder classics.

Farther north, there is the stunning Banner & Ritter area, but you are probably too early in the season for that (lots of snow most years, but maybe not this year).  It would be a similar situation for Dana, North, Conness, Excelsior, and Tuolumne Meadows area near Tioga Pass, as well as Matterhorn Peak near Bridgeport (there are nice hot springs near a quiet camping area if you venture that far north). These are mostly 12ers or low 13ers, but are great experiences that hold their ground against higher peaks to the south.

All these peaks have Summitpost mountain pages and most have specific area overview pages available as well. On those pages you can see all information you should need.  Inyo National Forest website should give you what you need for camping information. The books are great, but not necessary.  Also try highsierratopix.com if you want a forum discussion or search, but be aware advice tends to be on the safe side there and more forthcoming if you state your experience and abilities as well as show realization that May tends to be snowy on the ground and it is still too early to know the snowpack and weather.

Maps can be printed from Summitpost, CalTopo, snwburd.com/bob, and other places. If wanting to spend money on maps of general areas, National Geographic makes waterproof maps or Tom Harrison maps tend to be well respected. National Geographic map would be #205: Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP, and #809 Mammoth Lakes Mono Divide if heading to Bishop. Way north, #309 and #308 for eastern Yosemite area.

Edit: this new thread is worth a look if you haven't seen it http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=69018

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
Red Dragons

no avatar
edge17

by edge17 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:19 pm

This is kind of related but may be off topic, but are there seasonal road closures in the area?

If I recall, the gate on Whitney Portal rd is closed to vehicles during the winter. Is that true about other roads, and is there a site or something that gives some info?

colinr

by colinr » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:57 pm

edge17 wrote:This is kind of related but may be off topic, but are there seasonal road closures in the area?

If I recall, the gate on Whitney Portal rd is closed to vehicles during the winter. Is that true about other roads, and is there a site or something that gives some info?

Specifically Whitney Portal Rd.? Specifically winter? Yes and no. It depends. IIRC, It has gotten stricter and a gate was added in recent years, but in a non-snow year like this one has been, the gate may be open, but road signed closed. It was this situation before the storms of a weekend ago. In that case, it is a use at your own risk of getting cited or stuck situation. Keep in mind that AAA, etc. will not cover you if you go up a closed road and you will likely be cited if your vehicle ends up causing headaches for the forest service or Inyo County Roads department.

Whitney Portal Store Message Board (linked in previous post) will usually cover such information and keep it updated, or you can ask for updates there.

For other roads and current conditions (not always up to date):
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5192379
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/inyo/recreation

For the most up to date info: Inyo County Roads (760) 878-0202

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
edge17

Return to California