Mt Everest in TV Commercial

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Hotoven

Re: Mt Everest in TV Commercial

by Hotoven » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:32 am

Yeah is there a way you can post it?
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:55 am

Aaaaaa, here's Mt Rainier in a TV Commercial. Yuk, yuk ...

"Mountain Fresh to Go"

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:29 pm

This is all I could find, I'm not sure it's the correct one though;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmeFRZIN ... r_embedded

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:12 pm

Wow Rainier Beer looks nasty. Reminds me of Miller Lite. Anyone try it?
- The Dude, Lebowski

TimmyC

by TimmyC » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:48 pm

Hotoven wrote:Wow Rainier Beer looks nasty. Reminds me of Miller Lite. Anyone try it?

Short answer, not grumpy: Rainier is good, you should try it.

Longer answer, demonstrating a bit of grumpiness based on where I live and how much I love beer: For starters, Rainier is delightful. Yes, it is a less-expensive, lighter-bodied lager, but it holds its own, even going so far as to win a silver medal at the Great American Beer Festival in '87. While heavier, hoppier beers have their place, so do lighter lagers. It's a traditional style, and, even if it's not your preferred flavor, "nasty" is a not a term that is useful in constructive food critique, especially with a product that's been a strong market presence since 1878. Making your beer tasting decisions based on an e-copy of a print ad you viewed on a message board tells everyone reading your post that you don't know a single thing about beer, and that you likely have so little taste as to not be worth teaching.

Next, comparing it to Miller Lite based on the rebuttable presumption that Miller Lite is crap is a tacky maneuver (see above regarding market presence), but even tackier is pretending that you don't know that Rainier is now brewed by Miller. This is a VERY tender spot in the heart of PNWers in general and Seattle residents in particular, and can be interpreted as a direct shot at the gut of all the folks who call the Jet City home. Stop it.

Lastly, please don't start an east/west beer fight. We'll crush you.

JasonH

by JasonH » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:01 pm

TimmyC wrote:Lastly, please don't start an east/west beer fight. We'll crush you.

Word.
I have a demon in me - Stu

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:05 pm

TimmyC wrote:
Hotoven wrote:Wow Rainier Beer looks nasty. Reminds me of Miller Lite. Anyone try it?

Short answer, not grumpy: Rainier is good, you should try it.

Longer answer, demonstrating a bit of grumpiness based on where I live and how much I love beer: For starters, Rainier is delightful. Yes, it is a less-expensive, lighter-bodied lager, but it holds its own, even going so far as to win a silver medal at the Great American Beer Festival in '87. While heavier, hoppier beers have their place, so do lighter lagers. It's a traditional style, and, even if it's not your preferred flavor, "nasty" is a not a term that is useful in constructive food critique, especially with a product that's been a strong market presence since 1878. Making your beer tasting decisions based on an e-copy of a print ad you viewed on a message board tells everyone reading your post that you don't know a single thing about beer, and that you likely have so little taste as to not be worth teaching.

Next, comparing it to Miller Lite based on the rebuttable presumption that Miller Lite is crap is a tacky maneuver (see above regarding market presence), but even tackier is pretending that you don't know that Rainier is now brewed by Miller. This is a VERY tender spot in the heart of PNWers in general and Seattle residents in particular, and can be interpreted as a direct shot at the gut of all the folks who call the Jet City home. Stop it.

Lastly, please don't start an east/west beer fight. We'll crush you.

First off thanks for the description and history of the Rainier lager. I was merely judging by the color. I will have to try it next time I head to the North West.

I'm sorry I hit a tender spot but before you get "grumpy" let me remind you that food critiquing is relative. Reveling your egotistical view of beer as "right", your not only classifying yourself as a close minded person, but also judging people on their likes and dislikes, which in fact, tells me a lot about you. Miller Lite IMHO does not have an appealing taste at all. I would even go as far to say its downright repulsive and about as distasteful as your attitude. I don't give a rats ass where the heck its brewed, it still taste bad. If you interpret my dislike to Miller Lite as "a direct shot at the gut" to all the people in the city of Seattle, you have some very troubling assumptions.

Through that assumption, your saying my opinion of that beer also translates into my feeling toward the whole city of Seattle. You can take that same argument and apply it to other things, (as you so often do in logic to see if its a sound argument) for example, my opinion of mud is that of a negative nature, I don't like to step in it, it gets things dirty and is a pain to clean. As a result, you would be able to take that evidence and apply it to the broader sense as you did to my feeling about that particular beer. I hate everything that is living, because living things grow in mud, in fact, humans are living, I hate all humans! Now if I hate all humans, then I would be a living contradiction, as being a human myself, I would hate my self and most likely choose to end my life. Since I'm still living, it shows I do not truly hate living things. Making the argument flawed. I'm not telling you what to think or how to think, I'm just telling you maybe consider thinking before you write. Your logic is clearly flawed rendering your further arguments void until a sound doctrine of logic is found within your reasoning.

Lastly, the fact that you mentioned a "war" dealing with East vs. West beer displays you indeed wanted a war. Why you brought it up? I have no idea, why you falsely presumed I would arguer over such a petty thing, I have no idea, except for the fact that you wanted to seal your little rant against my ideals by pointing out I live on the East Coast. Now why would you want to point that out? It truly has many assumptions that can be made from it.
- The Dude, Lebowski

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:14 pm

lcarreau wrote:Aaaaaa, here's Mt Rainier in a TV Commercial. Yuk, yuk ...

"Mountain Fresh to Go"

:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

I remember, back in the mid 80's at university in Eugene, seeing the Rainer commercials with the guy on the motorcycle, just driving through a woods and some voice-over yutz saying "Raaaaaaai........neeeeeeeeeeeer............beeeeeeeeeer....." like he was shifting gears.

Ah, the bygone days of regional-level advertising for regional beverages.

* sigh *

kozman18

by kozman18 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:53 pm

I tried Rainier Beer once. That was enough. You get what you pay for. Not sure if it's as bad as Miller -- haven't had one of the those since high school when I didn't know any better, so can't compare. Why drink this crap when the are much better options?

On the plus side, the old RB commercial is pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz-WuLQz_ns

As for the best brew state? Vermont, of course -- 1 craft brewery for every 33,000 people:

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/breweries-per-capita

kozman18

by kozman18 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:24 pm

True that Rainy beer is better that no beer. Likewise, McDonalds is better than starving -- but if I have a choice I'll eat elsewhere.

Luckily, lots of good beers to choose from. Rainy just ain't one of them (might go good with a Big Mac though).

TimmyC

by TimmyC » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Hotoven wrote:I'm sorry I hit a tender spot

You did, kiddo. You did. Your profile says you're twenty-two, so here's an important lesson that you can take with you for the rest of your life: never run down another man's beer, especially if you've never tasted or even seen it outside of a bottle in an ad. To many gents of a certain age, trash-talking their beer is like insulting their sports team or their sister. It's a very personal matter. Add in the geographic specificity of a product like Vitamin R, and them's fightin' words.

You've only been able to buy your own beer for what, like a year or so? Don't worry, eventually you'll grow a palette, and be able to make your beer decisions based on more than ABV-to-cost ratio.

Gawdamn kids...

kozman18

by kozman18 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:33 pm

A buncha Budweiser's in that junk beer dam. Murphy's Irish Stout too (one of the worst canned beers around -- somebody acctually paid to have that crap shipped to the US).

Were the cans throw-aways from an upstream beer party, or was the dam intentional?

kozman18

by kozman18 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Hahaha... Vermont, right. Find your own beer stream.

DMTh

Good idea -- lot's of great beer streams in Vermont. Thanks.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:25 am

1000Pks wrote:
Hey, there's still no easy way to upload a picture!

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:43 am

TimmyC wrote:Eventually you'll grow a palette, and be able to make your beer decisions based on more than ABV-to-cost ratio.

Gawdamn kids...

Wrong again...Been drinking this since I turned 21. Have a case right now in my fridge. (Fairly expensive beer here in the East)
- The Dude, Lebowski

Next

Return to General