Mt. Hood Attempt - Experienced Mountaineer Wanted

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Shapp

by Shapp » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:30 pm

dskoon wrote:
rpc wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Anyone else think Lubellski and Shappy have the same writing style?

Folks climbing Hood next Friday might want to steer clear of the group of 11.

easy gents...Shapp's a local Oregonian who's been climbing more/longer than most here I'd wager...not trying to insult anyone but let's keep a bit of humility here.

Right, well, read the above post. Maybe with all that experience, Shapp should be leading the trip. . .

Thanks to those that have my back. Alas I am only a local OR in spirit, birth, and heritage as I live in WA now, which by the way has way better (and by that I mean way longer multipitch trad) climbing in general. I do provide route info on a fairly regular basis when asked by non-jackasses for non-internet distribution for a vast number of obscurities in Oregon and several great newer multipitch crags in WA.

Well as I said I aint part of the proposed Hood climbing group, primarily becuase I will be on a multiday raft/kayaking trip with my wife during that time period, either on the lower John Day, Wallowa/Grande Ronde, or Owyhee dependingon how the flow situation settles down by the end of next week. Also, I don't do mountaineering much anymore for a variety of reason, especially with a big group as proposed, mostly I don't particularly enjoy it anymore for personal reasons best discussed over multiple beers, and I stay focused on Multipitch trad routing and new routing.

While my post # on this forum has just increased by 200% in the last 2 days, I bid you fairwell. Lubellski - good luck and get stoked for the River of No Return in August!
Shapp

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:09 pm

You seem to be under the impression you were personally attacked somewhere in this discussion, but I cannot find an example of it.

no avatar
Lubellski

Hilarity

by Lubellski » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:17 pm

And just one more post following Shapps farewell. Again, thanks for the participation. I in no way fathomed that I would have so many views and posts. Aside from being pretty damn funny, it was as I mentioned earlier, thought provoking. Why in the hell anyone would sign up with multiple email addresses and user names is beyond me - but I am betting that people who accuse others of such actions have probably found themselves at that level themselves.

Shapp is one of the very few people in this world I trust on a rock face where one single slip of the mind means a very quick death. I am not surprised at all that some of you reading this post know him personally, or mythically as he is a bit of a legend. His knowledge about Oregon and Washington wild places is quite extensive and he ahs personally been responsible for many epic trips which I have had the privilege of being a part of.

Many of you here have been quick to pass judgment on skills and abilities with little or no pertinent information. I can only hope your friends, climbing partners, and significant others (assuming you can fake a respectable enough personality to convince some poor woman to sleep with you) have more patience than I do. Full Metal Jacket, please, step into the fucking 21st century man. In case you had not noticed, our President is African American, and our military is on the verge of eliminating the don’t ask don’t tell policy. Racism and homophobia are no longer hip man and neither is referencing a movie that revolves around both.

As was Shapps, this post will be my last on this thread. Thanks again for the info and encouragement from those of you who provided it – safe climbing to all and to all a good night.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:43 pm

I reread the thread from the beginning on a hunch. Confirmed that the first item that could even remotely be taken as an insult by anyone else was this line in the 19th post. I'm unsure who it was directed at, but give credit to Shappy for managing to convince himself that he is above it all.

Shapp wrote:undoubtedly he can read a map better than most of you, as that is his job, especially some of the commenters on his post that apparently can’t even identify the proper peak which they purported to climb in a trip report to Northeast Oregon on this website (you know who you are).

kozman18

by kozman18 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:30 am

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Image

Hi ho I ho
Its off to Hood we go

DMT

I only count 7 . . . . and why aren't they roped up?

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:32 am

Four pages on this, obviously those of us in the NW are going out of our heads with the crap weather. Those of you elsewhere, I don't know why you aren't out in the sunshine. :lol:

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:39 pm

mrchad9 wrote:I reread the thread from the beginning on a hunch. Confirmed that the first item that could even remotely be taken as an insult by anyone else was this line in the 19th post. I'm unsure who it was directed at, but give credit to Shappy for managing to convince himself that he is above it all.

Shapp wrote:undoubtedly he can read a map better than most of you, as that is his job, especially some of the commenters on his post that apparently can’t even identify the proper peak which they purported to climb in a trip report to Northeast Oregon on this website (you know who you are).

+1

Some people just like to stir the pot. Draw conclusions from no where, and need friction. dang gone 21st century! :D

Diggler

by Diggler » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:54 pm

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Steve Larson

by Steve Larson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:18 pm

kozman18 wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:Image

Hi ho I ho
Its off to Hood we go

DMT

I only count 7 . . . . and why aren't they roped up?

The OP said they weren't planning on roping up...

PreviousNext

Return to General