Mt. Shuksan -- ISO Summit Pyramid Suggestions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
bert

Mt. Shuksan -- ISO Summit Pyramid Suggestions

by bert » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Last Summer, my brother and I climbed Shuksan for the first time and had a blast. We followed the Fisher Chimneys route, camped on the saddle just above Winnie's Slide (great spot), and approached the Summit Pyramid from the SSW from Hell's Highway. For us, this was a challenging but fun route with great variety.

We are heading back to Shuksan this Summer. I'm curious if there are alternative routes up/approaches to the Summit Pyramid that people would recommend assuming we follow the same game plan of coming up the Chimneys and camping just above Winnie's Slide.

Quick disclaimer: We have only been climbing since 2014. We are comfortable with tools and ropes and have a little experience with exposure and ice (thanks to a quick trip to Ouray), but IMO anything above 5.8 is probably above our pay grade at this stage in our climbing lives.

Thanks in advance.

no avatar
climber123

Re: Mt. Shuksan -- ISO Summit Pyramid Suggestions

by climber123 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm

SE Ridge of the summit pyramid is a little harder than the SW Ridge. The south face gulley system is 3rd and 4th class. I really like the SW Ridge, it seems to be the most solid of the options. Fisher Chimneys is my favorite route on the mountain, but if you want to do a little more ice climbing consider approaching the summit pyramid via the North Face.

The following user would like to thank climber123 for this post
bert

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)