Music for a mountain roadtrip?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
distressbark

by distressbark » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm

dskoon wrote:Have to agree with the above poster, early Neil is pretty nice, driving through wide-open country. And Dylan.

... and The Band, Townes Van Zandt, The Stones

Athos791

by Athos791 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:43 pm

When I was younger my dad, brother and I were on a 2 week trip to the mount zirkel wilderness and we forgot our CDs for the car rides between camps as to town and what not. The only cd we had was my dads friends Simon and garfunkles greatest hits. Was an awesome cd for a mountain trip and I have loved them ever since.

Ed F

by Ed F » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:52 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Sigur Rós

Trippy psychadelic space music from Iceland.

I'll never forget bouncing across the interior highlands of Iceland, the Sprengisandur, looking out across the desert and the ice caps, listening to the first CD by Sigur Rós.

It was like doing acid but better.

But Beethoven's Choral Symphony is a close second!

Have you seen their DVD? Without looking it up, I think the name was "Heima," but I might be misspelling it. It follows them on a tour of Iceland and they mix in natural scenery with the concert footage really nicely. It's a really nice music DVD.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:51 pm

Last night in town cd is the jam. I think I sold it. Haven't listen to or seen them in years

Hotoven wrote:Every Time I Die is what gets me pumped up! Its the new rock and roll.

gorida

nomadic ear

by gorida » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:14 pm

My favourite music when climbing is <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mari_Boine"> Mari Boine</a> and Sigur Ros. We have a corner for nomadic ears on our blog. Three songs from our corner:

<a href="http://gorida.com/mlink/01.%20Linngisan%20na%20rgyax%20-%20Call%20of%20the%20Mountain.mp3">Call of the mountain</a>
<a href="http://gorida.com/mlink/Dezarie%20-%20Travelers.mp3">Travelers</a>
<a href="http://gorida.com/mlink/La%20Shica%20-%20Dejame%20vivir.mp3"> Let me live my way</a>

Here are some <a href="http://gorida.com/blog/?p=448"> nordic music videos </a> that will have you hitting the road to ...

mstender

by mstender » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:16 pm

splattski wrote:"The Gumbo Variations" by Zappa.

Good one, even though personally I would go with "Hot Rats" by Zappa.

Anything by King Crimson would be good. One the way to the mountains I'd go with "In the Court of the Crimson King" or "In the Wake of Poseidon" and on the way back with "Red" or "Starless and Bible Black".

I do like Yma Sumac a lot. She is from the mountains (Peruvian Andes) and sings about the mountains often in Quechua (native language). She has the most incredible voice I have ever heard with a voice range of over 4 octaves, which she often displays in one song. Her music makes me feel I am somewhere deep in the Andes.

Once I played Softmachine on a trip to the mountians and my partner liked it so much that we played it over and over until we got there.

belexes

Music

by belexes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:00 pm

2112--Rush (especially the Grand Finale)
The Prisoner--Iron Maiden
Lights Out--UFO
Ice Cream Man--Van Halen
Shake a Leg--AC/DC
Swords & Tequila--Riot
Space Truckin'--Deep Purple
Space Station #5--Montrose (Interesting how songs about space travel make for great driving music!)
Pretty much any Zeppelin
Anything that brings the Rawk!

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:56 pm

If the mountains are the Cordillera Blanca, it's got to be Sonia Morales (http://www.soniamorales.com/)!

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:55 pm

For me, it depends on who's in the car. If the parentals are along, it's Dougie MacLean, Old Blind Dogs, Clannad, Patrick Street, and the like.

If they're not coming, but I wanna chill, Arcade Fire, Killers, Muse, The Doors, and Sigur Ros. To get excited, I go with Anberlin, Linkin Park, Skillet, and some Breaking Benjamin.

Bucky

by Bucky » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Have to agree with the above poster, Yonder Mountain String Band is one of my main choices before hitting the mountains, along with Trampled by Turtles, Neil Young, or some Dead. Allman Bros are also good before or after a hike.

Dottie Little Tent

I really reccomend Railroad Earth's live 2 CD " Elko&qu

by Dottie Little Tent » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:48 am

I just got driving 10 hours from the white mountains. I listen to Queen a lot! awesome stuff!

Bucky

Re: I really reccomend Railroad Earth's live 2 CD " Elk

by Bucky » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:06 am

Dottie Little Tent wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9tE9nOCc9A

Great song and another of my favorite bands for mountain adventures.

connollyck

by connollyck » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:44 am

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Sigur Rós

Trippy psychadelic space music from Iceland.

I'll never forget bouncing across the interior highlands of Iceland, the Sprengisandur, looking out across the desert and the ice caps, listening to the first CD by Sigur Rós.

It was like doing acid but better.

But Beethoven's Choral Symphony is a close second!

fuck yeah. sigor ros is the shit. i listen to that in my ipod when its storming outside and i want to chill and sleep after roasting a fat bizowl

ChristianRodriguez

Re: Music for a mountain roadtrip?

by ChristianRodriguez » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:31 pm

GRINDCOREE!!!! or Death Metal... but in the mountains I prefer always the music of the nature.

Bubba Suess wrote:Perhaps this has been a thread in the past, but I am curious what music y'all listen to when driving to the trailhead or just driving through scenic country.

For myself, the James Gang and Joe Walsh are my go-to set, though the Eagles are not too far behind, especially if I am in the southwest (there may be a pattern there...). I confess to some Hank Jr too, which is a fall back to my days in the mountains around Chico, CA.

PreviousNext

Return to General