Listening to music while climbing?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
NW

Re: Listening to music while climbing?

by NW » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:23 am

My husband showed me a combination of the song 'Another Brick In The Wall' and 'Staying Alive' by the Beegees. Honestly they mix together in a way I would never have imagined. It's actually quite scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U13xOvDa19U

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:22 pm

I save the music and pump up time for the ride to the hike or climb. I don't need motivation while hiking or climbing because I really love it. I find it takes me away from doing what I'm doing in spirit. It doesn't feel as peaceful and calm when listening to music and hiking. I'm sure though to some people it may amplify their experience and make it more enjoyable which is great too. To every man his own.
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 pm

I agree. Usually on the way down or on boring trails where there is no objective danger.
It's all dependent on day, route, weather, partners etc.

Sometimes Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Loreena McKennit or The Dead are playing on my ipod. Sometimes it's Paul Oakenfold, Armin Van Buren, Painbastard or Manson. It just all depends.

Vitaliy M wrote:I like headphones for boring trails, mostly on the way down from a long day... especially in the dark, when I am at the point of not caring if there is a bear, night stalker, or w/e

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:50 pm

When I used to jog in Palo Alto, I used to scare the hell out of people as I passed them from behind on the sidewalks. Occasionally, they would catch up to me at the traffic light and yell at me for scaring them.

"Well, if you hadn't been wearing those headphones, you might have heard me yell out, COMING UP FROM BEHIND YOU, PASSING ON YOUR RIGHT!"

As for wearing headphones in the mountains... I thought the whole point of going into the mountains was to get away from all that crap?

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:19 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:When I used to jog in Palo Alto, I used to scare the hell out of people as I passed them from behind on the sidewalks. Occasionally, they would catch up to me at the traffic light and yell at me for scaring them.

"Well, if you hadn't been wearing those headphones, you might have heard me yell out, COMING UP FROM BEHIND YOU, PASSING ON YOUR RIGHT!"

As for wearing headphones in the mountains... I thought the whole point of going into the mountains was to get away from all that crap?

completely agree.... even on the most boring trail or being completely overcome with tiredness, I would never even think about listening to music while I am in the mountains...

jmh5331

by jmh5331 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:39 am

Loreena McKennit

+1

One of the most spiritual moments I've ever had was sitting at Lower South Colony lake under a full moon and full sky of stars after the Ellingwood Arete while listening to the Book of Secrets

drjohnso1182

by drjohnso1182 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:21 am

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:As for wearing headphones in the mountains... I thought the whole point of going into the mountains was to get away from all that crap?

1. There doesn't need to be a point.
2. Even if there is a point, it doesn't have to be "to get away from all that crap".
3. Even if that is the point, "all that crap" doesn't have to include music.

The following user would like to thank drjohnso1182 for this post
JasonH

Joe White

by Joe White » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:49 am

drjohnso1182 wrote:
Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:As for wearing headphones in the mountains... I thought the whole point of going into the mountains was to get away from all that crap?

2. Even if there is a point, it doesn't have to be "to get away from all that crap".

now that's clever!

adventurer

by adventurer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Whether climbing, hiking, cycling, fishing, canoeing, etc., a big part of the experience is to immerse myself in the great outdoors by leaving the electronics home.

C'mon people, hang up and climb! :D :D
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:02 pm

adventurer wrote:C'mon people, hang up and climb! :D :D

Yeah but..

Electronics can be so habit-forming and addictive.

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:47 pm

adventurer wrote:Whether climbing, hiking, cycling, fishing, canoeing, etc., a big part of the experience is to immerse myself in the great outdoors

Some people enhance their outdoor experience with drugs and/or alcohol. Others with music. My Nano is a whole lot lighter than a bottle of wine.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:54 pm

DukeJH wrote:
Some people enhance their outdoor experience with drugs and/or alcohol. Others with music. My Nano is a whole lot lighter than a bottle of wine.

I hiked with a fellow who had brought up a bottle of wine from the TH, and it was completely
empty when he met up with us further up the trail.

We had wondered what had took him so long. Geez..

:roll:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

JasonH

by JasonH » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:54 pm

It depends on where I'm at. If I can still here road noise I will put on the head phones. Also If i been out for a couple of days I will listen to music on the hike out.
I have a demon in me - Stu

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:20 am

Joe White wrote:
drjohnso1182 wrote:

now that's clever!

Clever but WRONG! Watch out, I'll be pulling your plug

H2SO4

by H2SO4 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:13 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Clever but WRONG! Watch out, I'll be pulling your plug

Why do you care what other people do? Unless it's your partner, I fail to see how it's anything but a very minor inconvenience for you to have someone else on the trail listening to music (by headphones; I was a bit put off by a party carrying a small boom-box, although even that wasn't a big deal).

PreviousNext

Return to General