Need help: climbing Bogda Feng w/ medical exchange group

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
utahclimber

Need help: climbing Bogda Feng w/ medical exchange group

by utahclimber » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:41 pm

Everyone,

I'm the Chair of the Urumqi, China/Orem, UT Sister City Committee. A few years ago as part of an official delegation, I traveled to Urumqi, China. We were taken to Heavenly Pool at the base of Bogda Feng & I fell in love with the peak.
Over the intervening years I have worked with the Chinese government to set up a medical exchange rip wherein our local doctors would meet their Chinese colleagues to exchange best practices.
I also want to organize a climbing trip with the local Urumqi climbing club in an exchange of good will.
I am also seeking to make this part of the Explorers Club requirements for humanitarian work therefore, I would love everyone's help.

If you've climbed in the area, what resources are available that would be hopefully indigenous. Do you know if they Chinese would see this as an affront or would they welcome it?
Do you know the best routes, the times to climb them (I know the season is June-October), best climbing guides etc.

Also, we're seeking help to fund the trip; does anyone here have experience successfully funding a trip?

Darrell
htttp://www.AlwaysBePrepared.com

BobK

by BobK » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Darrell,

To climb Bogda you should put together a strong team you are comfortable climbing with as the mountain requires some serious route finding decisions. You can find basic info on Summitpost. If you want to climb with local climbers with the XMA, let them set everything up for you and lead the trip otherwise culture clash and communication difficulties could cause problems.

Avalanch hazards can be severe and I have heard that the standard route is often not free enough of snow until late September. Check with you local contacts for current conditions.

Bogda, though technically challenging, is not that involved of a peak to climb and depending on the weather, you should be on the mountain for less than a week. My only costs to climb there were transportation, food and fuel. Send me PM if you have specific questions.

Return to Asia