Nevado de Colima in February

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
mattvct

Nevado de Colima in February

by mattvct » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:02 pm

I am visiting some family near Lake Chapala in Jalisco state this February and while I am down there I would love to climb the dormant Nevado de Colima (not the more active Volcan de Fuego which I understand to be off-limits).

Looking around online I am hampered by not being Spanish-speaking but from the looks of it there are a few bi-lingual guide companies out there. I am sure I could solo this but being in a foreign country where I don't speak the language I would be more comfortable with a guide.

Does anyone know any reputable guides in the area that they would recommend? Also, would I be better off bringing my climbing gear with me or renting when I get there? I know it is supposed to be a non-technical climb so I figure layers, shells, axe, crampons and boots should be easy enough to pack along but not sure whether I should bring my trekking poles, snowshoes, harness, etc...

Any recommendations or advice would be very much appreciated!

Matt.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Nevado de Colima in February

by Scott » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 am

Also, would I be better off bringing my climbing gear with me or renting when I get there? I know it is supposed to be a non-technical climb so I figure layers, shells, axe, crampons and boots should be easy enough to pack along but not sure whether I should bring my trekking poles, snowshoes, harness, etc...

You usually don't need things like an ice axe, crampons, etc. for Colima. No one I know of ever takes snowshoes to Mexico.

As far as a guides go, I'd ask around in Guzman or La Mesa y La Frensita. Someone would likely be able to find you a ride up the mountain, if its open (the mountain is sometimes closed due to the activity of Volcán de Colima).

(PS, I haven't climbed Nevado de Colima itself, but have been to the region surrounding the peak. From experience on other mountains in the region, I can say that the chances of needing an ice axe are fairly slim at that elevation).

no avatar
mattvct

by mattvct » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Scott, many thanks for the reply! I've never climbed in Mexico so not sure what to expect. I've heard that in February that the mountain can have significant snow-cover but my lack of Spanish has greatly curtailed my research :)

I'll be staying by Lake Chapala and not sure what kind of transportation I'll have available. Are there other nice peaks in the area that you would recommend that are straight-forward to get to?

Thanks!

Matt.

Baarb

by Baarb » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 am

This might be slightly redundant but there's a variety of potentially useful information here: http://www.summitpost.org/nevado-de-col ... log/151282

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean