New Map of all the Washington Lookouts (91 total)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
gimpilator

New Map of all the Washington Lookouts (91 total)

by gimpilator » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:29 pm

SP member StephAbegg (if you live in the northwest, you have probably heard her name by now) has just completed an awesome new map showing the location of all the remaining fire lookouts in Washington State. You can find it at the top of the Washington Lookouts page (http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=564151). As far as I know, this is the first image of it's kind. It's obvious that she has put a lot of hard work into it. So, if you are a fan of lookouts, pass it on.

There are two versions, the second of which might be available from Steph for print in poster size.
ImageImage
Last edited by gimpilator on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Yeah, I saw that and her tr on CascadeClimbers. Good stuff.

Klenke

by Klenke » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:36 pm

One lookout is missing:
There is a lookout (that was still standing in 2005) on Stensgar Mountain in the NE part of the state. Here is some info on Stensgar Mountain. Stensgar Mountain is next to the 3000+ prominence peak Huckleberry Mountain and one drives past the former to get to the latter.

I don't think this is the bygone Stranger Mountain lookout mentioned on Steph's image (bottom-right corner) because the Stensgar lookout is still there (unless it was removed/moved only recently).

Topo map of location of this lookout

Note: Goodman Hill is on Fort Lewis and is not staffed. That lookout is cordoned off by chainlink fence and barbed wire.

Other edits/comments to Steph's map:
#1 --> Kloshe Nanitch is spelled Kloshe Nanich.
#8 --> Copper Mountain is better as "Copper Lake Lookout." The lookout is not on the summit of Copper Mountain, nor all that close to the summit of Copper Mountain. The lookout is about 3 miles from Copper Mountain.
#59 --> There are two Aeneas Mountains in Washington. The Aeneas Steph mentions is the correct one with the lookout. She also shows it only as "Aeneas." It would be appropriate to call it Aeneas Mountain. Further, the mountain has a local name of Lemanasky Mountain (local signs, etc. refer to it as that). Maybe "Aeneas Mtn (Lemanasky Mtn)" would be more apropos.
#41 --> That lookout atop Mt. Adams is hardly there anymore.
Goat Peak entry (bottom-right) --> property is misspelled (typo)
Last edited by Klenke on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dennis Poulin

Stensgar

by Dennis Poulin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:46 pm

I drove up to Stensgar last June. I didn't see any fire lookout. The high point has a fairly new micorwave tower and communication building. The high point area is fenced and I walked around the perimeter of the fence looking for a benchmark. I found none. Paul your topo link goes to the saddle between Stensgar and No Huck. I didn't explore that area, but would be surprised if there was ever a fire lookout in the saddle. The microwave tower is right where the topo shows "Lookout 5819".

Dennis

Klenke

by Klenke » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Ok, I guess that lookout isn't on Stensgar anymore. My memory says to me that that lookout was in fairly good condition (a metal frame).

Speaking of Goodman Hill lookout on Fort Lewis. Here's a picture of it from a trip there in 2007:
(Note: this lookout may not have been a "fire" lookout. Since it's on Fort Lewis, it may have been used for other observational purposes.)

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:00 am

Nice photo, Paul. You look like you are getting served a subpoena.

StephAbegg

by StephAbegg » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:45 am

Other edits/comments to Steph's map:
#1 --> Kloshe Nanitch is spelled Kloshe Nanich.
#8 --> Copper Mountain is better as "Copper Lake Lookout." The lookout is not on the summit of Copper Mountain, nor all that close to the summit of Copper Mountain. The lookout is about 3 miles from Copper Mountain.
#59 --> There are two Aeneas Mountains in Washington. The Aeneas Steph mentions is the correct one with the lookout. She also shows it only as "Aeneas." It would be appropriate to call it Aeneas Mountain. Further, the mountain has a local name of Lemanasky Mountain (local signs, etc. refer to it as that). Maybe "Aeneas Mtn (Lemanasky Mtn)" would be more apropos.
#41 --> That lookout atop Mt. Adams is hardly there anymore.
Goat Peak entry (bottom-right) --> property is misspelled (typo)[/quote]

Got 'em, thanks! I appreciate the attention to detail, even to the missed "t" in property - must have gone over the thing with a fine toothed comb!

A couple of others have told me Stensgar is gone, so I will go with that....

-Steph

ericnoel

by ericnoel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 am

Brian Jenkins wrote:Nice photo, Paul. You look like you are getting served a subpoena.

That process server (who surely seems to be a very handsome man based on this photo) is just basking in the glow that is Klenke.

I would guess that the Goodman LO served both the fire lookout purpose as well as the military observation function. There's probably a decent fire potential between the ammunition, heavy machinery, smoking etc when the army is/was doing exercises on Fort Lewis.

The USFS seems to spell Kloshe Nanich with a "t". See:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/olympic/recreat ... anitch.pdf
http://www.hungrybearcafemotel.com/klos ... index.html

Someone, I think it may have been Don Beavon, made a comment that I read previously saying that Kloshe Nanitch is a Chinook word meaning something like "To keep a vigilant watch". Or some such. At the moment I can't find the location where I read that.

Like Paul, I thought that Stensgar still had a lookout because I had visited it in just 2006 when it was still there and seemed in decent condition. I mentioned this to Steph on NWHikers. But according to firelookout.com it sounds like it was taken off of the mtn in 2008.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)