It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 7:34 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Missing in the Minarets - Revisited

I've been reading thru the new book "Early Days in the Range of Light - Encounters with Legendary Mountaineers".

The author describes his climb of Michael Minaret and upon his descent he sees a shiny object on the face of the mountain. Of course he has come across Pete Starr’s bronze memorial plaque as placed by Dave Daly, Bob Burd and other SP members.
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/1 ... rt-ii.html

The book ...
Read more : Missing in the Minarets - Revisited | Views : 1130 | Replies : 0

The Valley

This post is dedicated to mungeclimber.
Nope, not that Valley!
:lol:

Three Palms vineyard

Read more : The Valley | Views : 1663 | Replies : 3

Photo enlargement- what happened to mid size?

When I go to enlarge a pic it only blows up to extra large (bigger than the screen). Are others experiencing this. I seems to come and go.
Read more : Photo enlargement- what happened to mid size? | Views : 562 | Replies : 1

Manly Peak (Panamints) from Wingate Road

I'm thinking of approaching Manly from the Wingate Road S of Balarat, essentially the SW ridge, just N of the true Coyote Canyon. There would be 6000' of elevation gain, but I wouldn't need to punish a vehicle with the bad roads.

The google-earth image looks reasonable -- no cliff bands, fairly consistent ridge, no excess scrub.

Do you know anyone who has tried this?

As I sit here with a sprained ankle, I'm thinking ...
Read more : Manly Peak (Panamints) from Wingate Road | Views : 2126 | Replies : 6

Owens Valley Solar Park?

"We're looking at the Owens Valley for our solar. We own it lock, stock and barrel. Some people think we stole it, but LA owns a huge area up there."

http://news.sierrawave.net/eastern-sier ... -in-bishop
Read more : Owens Valley Solar Park? | Views : 4878 | Replies : 21

Sierra Mountaineering International

Hey guys, It look like im going to be taking the winter travel course from SMI.

Have any of you taken it, and if so, how was it?

-Jace
Read more : Sierra Mountaineering International | Views : 1879 | Replies : 7

Lone Pine Peak Conditions

Does anyone know the conditions on either the SF of LPP or the N or NE ridges? Anyone been up there lately? Anyone interested in going this weekend?
Read more : Lone Pine Peak Conditions | Views : 2265 | Replies : 3

Wilderness EMT course

Can anyone recommend a one-day wilderness emergency medical training course in SoCal?
Read more : Wilderness EMT course | Views : 10874 | Replies : 21

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557976 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136469