It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:04 pm

News News of General

Site map of General » Forum : General

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

How long of a rope?

Hey guys,

I just took SMI's snow travel class and am now looking to cheaply get a rope for short roping type stuff. For a rope team of 2 (dangerous, I know, but not on glaciated terrain) and up to maybe 5. I was thinking about using a rope that I currently have, wich would be a 60m 9.5mm rope that I already have. It is 2x dry treatment so it should be pretty good ...
Read more : How long of a rope? | Views : 9205 | Replies : 15

Begginer in need of help

Hay guys so since trying rock climbing in the Blue Mountains and attending an indoor climbing gym a few times this year I decided to climb Huayna Potosi in Bolivia with a guide for the first time and summited ad 07:00 am just in time for sunrise!!!

It was the most amazing experience of my life and also the hardest. I'm a fitness instructor who enjoys the intense workouts style like crossfit and gym jones ...
Read more : Begginer in need of help | Views : 3990 | Replies : 21

Your Mountain Mentality ?

in one of my psychology courses a debate came up that people who willing engage in risky behaviors that could result in death are mentally unhealthy and suffer from some kind of childhood trauma.being stimulated by danger is also a symptom of individuals who score high on the p.t.s.i test.....after listening to my professor and some students discuss this it made me think of the mountains......i feel like all of us who really spend time ...
Read more : Your Mountain Mentality ? | Views : 13053 | Replies : 49

Translating Mountain Grades - Problem

I have written a new book titled 'Mountaineering In Antarctica'. It is around 200 pages long with over a hundred (I think??) colour photos and new maps for each chapter. It is being translated into French right now, and will come out in English, French, German and maybe some other language, later in 2010. No, this is not an ad.

The French translator (not actually the publisher) is trying to change all the grades to ...
Read more : Translating Mountain Grades - Problem | Views : 2884 | Replies : 9

Cell phones go dead

When I'm out in the wilderness... my cell phone is usually dead after 36 hours - even tho I never used the phone.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm guessing - without proof that the phone keeps pinging out at high power to find a network.

2nd question - do rescue parties carry equipment to call lost hikers in the wilderness?
Read more : Cell phones go dead | Views : 2201 | Replies : 3

DON'T DIE OUT THERE !!

Even one dying of avalanche is enough, but the numbers are now getting tragic. I'm not a spoil sport, and I love the big stuff, but it's time to cut the risk. Conditions just ain't right. Stay away from the risk and live for another day.
Read more : DON'T DIE OUT THERE !! | Views : 12904 | Replies : 44

Ski-gliding down the Eiger West & North Face

http://www.maniacworld.com/Ski-Gliding.html

^^

Summit Eiger -base of the mountain, roughly 2 minutes...

Absolutely mad :shock:

(this was already in regional US but I think it deserves some more attention).
Read more : Ski-gliding down the Eiger West & North Face | Views : 2830 | Replies : 5

Climbing goals for 2010?

What are your climbing goals for 2010? For me:

General goals:
- Lead WI4
- Lead easy 5.9
- Avalanche knowledge
- Fit enough to do fast-and-light Alpine style climbs

Specific routes:
- Colden Slide and Gothics NF, ADK, NY
- Pinnacle Gully, Mt Washington, NH
- N Ridge of Mt Stuart, WA
- N Ridge of Mt Baker, WA, fast-and-light
- Either Liberty Ridge or Kautz on Rainier, WA (fast-and-light if the latter)
Read more : Climbing goals for 2010? | Views : 10983 | Replies : 78

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557946 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136403