It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:16 am

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Autumn in MT

Anyone getting out and climbing mountains with all this good weather we've had?

It's about to turn cold and wet, and I can't wait until we have a base to ski on...

credit: NOAA via Mike Heard

edit: original title was misleading: "Fall in MT" whoops!
Read more : Autumn in MT | Views : 915 | Replies : 4

Skiing Montana 2011

So I'm booked into Bozeman end of January. Gonna see if it lives up to the hype. Shitloads of snow etc.

Long range weather, the La Nina.....

Reports are the temps along the equator are lowest since 1955.

Impact for the Northwest: Dry throughout the fall with precip beginning in earnest around first of the year as the temp drops and accumulations begin. Potential for lots of heavy storms.

Works for me.
http://www.telemarktips.com/Weatherpage.html
Read more : Skiing Montana 2011 | Views : 4401 | Replies : 16

snow conditions for sawtooths

Can someone tell me how much snow, if any, the sawtooths got, specifically Thompson Peak, Mickey's spire, and Mt. Carter? thanks!
Read more : snow conditions for sawtooths | Views : 2889 | Replies : 6

Gannett or Granite

Looking for early interest for next summer. Is anybody looking to climb the SW Couloir on Ganite or the Glacier trail on Gannett?
Read more : Gannett or Granite | Views : 2184 | Replies : 1

Idaho Summit Hikes

Hey, I am new to Summit Post and want to know if anyone has any suggestions on a good summit hike in Idaho. I am going to be taking my brother & sister in law, who have never hiked. Looking for something challenging and an over nighter! Thanks for you reply!
Read more : Idaho Summit Hikes | Views : 4756 | Replies : 10

grand teton conditions/forecasts

I've got the tetons on my list of possibilities for a jaunt out west in the first full week of october....

any news on the ice situation up high, and if OS is looking good?

lemme know if any of yer would be interested as well (monday Oct 4 would be the day i'd be after it)
Read more : grand teton conditions/forecasts | Views : 1212 | Replies : 3

Bear Spray outside of Jellystone...

I'm sure this one will open up a big can of worms, but here goes...

I understand the need/desire to carry bear spray in places where trash bears are prevalent... i. e. Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, Grand Tetons NP, etc. Bears that are conditioned to people have a tendency to act strangely.

My question is in regards to more 'natural' grizzly bear habitat. I want to know what most people do who spend serious time ...
Read more : Bear Spray outside of Jellystone... | Views : 7070 | Replies : 25

Granite Peak SW Couloir (yet another topic)

In case you wanted to climb this route, but didn't want to go alone, we'd take on other hikers for our dates in mid-September. There's just two of us so far, and we'll be going up the SW Couloir route, which is rugged for backcountry approach, but (hopefully) just a Class 3 climb with no glacier and no rappelling or ropes. Email me if interested.

markvotapek "at" netscape "dot" net

p.s. Sorry, i should just ...
Read more : Granite Peak SW Couloir (yet another topic) | Views : 4737 | Replies : 6

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557974 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136462