It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:04 am

News News of Oceania and Pacific Islands

Site map of Oceania and Pacific Islands » Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.

Mt Egmont/Taranaki Re-write

The Taranaki/Egmont page has not been updated for over 5 years, so I recently took it over and have done a complete re-write.

See http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... anaki.html

I would appreciate any comment and (constructive) critism.

I'll be working on the attached route pages a little later. For now they're as originally written.
Read more : Mt Egmont/Taranaki Re-write | Views : 9657 | Replies : 5

Mount Cook partners - Jan-March

Anyone going to be in New Zealand between Jan-March? Looking for partners to climb Aoraki (Cook). Now my time is flexible, I'm looking to make more solid plans within the next couple weeks.
Read more : Mount Cook partners - Jan-March | Views : 10065 | Replies : 3

Has anyone done Carstensz independently?

It's well known that Carstensz is difficult to climb independently. If you ask the commercial outfitters they'll give you examples of how it went wrong for those who try. I do believe them, but obviously several teams have tried to climb Carstensz unguided.

My question is if there is anyone who has done a successful climb of Carstensz independently? If so, I would very much like to get in contact with you.

Thanks a lot!
Read more : Has anyone done Carstensz independently? | Views : 19062 | Replies : 13

where are the Araps pages? GRampians climbing?

Even the Bluies are missing!
there must be a better Aussie website.
maybe it includes Canyoneering too :?:
Read more : where are the Araps pages? GRampians climbing? | Views : 7243 | Replies : 1

Kokoda Trail/Track in Papua New Guinea

Has anyone done the Kokoda Trail or Track in Papua New Guinea? My brother, Axe, is working in PNG and needs some beta. He doesn't have web access so I'm helping him out. How hard is it to do without guides? Are there lodges along the way or should he plan on camping? Estimate on how long for two very fit guys to complete? Any reason to hire guide/porter? Any other info that might help? ...
Read more : Kokoda Trail/Track in Papua New Guinea | Views : 8827 | Replies : 4

Kalalau trail ride to trailhead

Is anyone heading to/from the trail on 6/20 or 6/24? Two hikers needing a ride and will pay gas.

thanks!
Read more : Kalalau trail ride to trailhead | Views : 6162 | Replies : 0

New Zealand North Island in June

Air NZ had an offer too good to pass up from the U.S., so I'm heading down in June. I want to climb a few peaks while I'm down there if it's not too technical. Was thinking about the Tongariro Crossing, is that something that is conceivable in June? I was thinking of Mt. Ngaurube and Mt. Tongairo or Ruapehu, are these peaks going to be climbable in June? Any thoughts or suggestions would be ...
Read more : New Zealand North Island in June | Views : 7076 | Replies : 3

Melbourne in August

In August, are there any good climbing or camping spots that are not far from Melbourne?

I've got only 3 spare days.
Read more : Melbourne in August | Views : 13945 | Replies : 10

Puncak Jaya (Carstensz Pyramid)

This is the latest re these guesthouses

Dr Werner Weiglein is leading the cause though it may not be apparent.

He lives in Berlin and it seems the Papuan Governor spends a lot of time there promoting Werners projects. Werner will control all access to this facility

I have it on good authority that there will be a new route opened to Puncak Jaya via Tsinga, its been planned for some time and will involve ...
Read more : Puncak Jaya (Carstensz Pyramid) | Views : 17991 | Replies : 13

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557946 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136400