It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:03 pm

News News of Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Site map of Pacific Northwest (WA, OR) » Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.

Saturday

Weather is looking better. Snow consolidated to walk or still shoes or ski? Ruth Mountain, Monte Cristo area, SEWS on N Cascade Hwy...anywhere some reports???? Don't make me go to CC!!! :roll:
Read more : Saturday | Views : 553 | Replies : 1

rainier in july

new to climbing in pacific northwest. can you answer any of these questions for a july climb?
how cold is it at night at muir and morning at 14,000?
is it reasonable to take a bivy sack?
how crowded is the bunkhouse on Mon or Tu nights? Can you sleep in there more than one night?
do you have to boil snow for all your water at muir?
can i climb in crampon compatible boots ...
Read more : rainier in july | Views : 4928 | Replies : 7

Armed Pot Growers in the High Desert

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ss ... aring.html

Thought I would post this for anyone venturing into the high desert, apparently they are growing along the remote streams out in the Trout Creeks and Oregon Canyon Mountains area so be careful out there. This affects a number of the mountains I've posted and hiked these last few years, might be best sticking to this area in winter and early spring.
Read more : Armed Pot Growers in the High Desert | Views : 2117 | Replies : 6

Mt.Defiance

Anyone been up there in the last week? Snowshoes for the upper part or not?
I figure the snow's nice and consolidated, but I figured that on Hood last weekend and was post holing all over the place.....any info. is much appreciated...
Thanks! amy
Read more : Mt.Defiance | Views : 1593 | Replies : 9

Gorge Hiker Found

Gorge hiker found

Nice to see a good outcome for once. This is a relative of a friend and they were pretty worried. Last name is actually Fridell, not Fidell. He ran into snow up top and decided to hunker down for the night and is hiking out now.
Read more : Gorge Hiker Found | Views : 4047 | Replies : 13

Recommendations for a short, easy PacNorWest vacation

I've got some Southwest tickets I need to use, and I'm going to be coming off some surgery in June. So I'd like some advice on a 5 day vacation up in the northwest, within a reasonable drive of Portland's airport. I'd like a place where I could just plant myself and maybe enjoy some hiking, sightseeing, beer drinking, day rafting, etc. The sort of things you all might do if you weren't fit enough ...
Read more : Recommendations for a short, easy PacNorWest vacation | Views : 1232 | Replies : 6

Lodging for Mt. Rainier?

Hey - I was wondering where mountaineers from outside of WA stays before climbing Mt. Rainier? I'd like to be at a neat place where mountaineers hang out rather than a Motel 6! I understand there's Whittaker's Bunkhouse but that's on the way to the Nisqually entrance. We plan to do Liberty Ridge and would like somewhere near either the Carbon River entrance or the White River entrance.

Suggestions? Thanks.
Read more : Lodging for Mt. Rainier? | Views : 1477 | Replies : 1

Skis or Snowshoes for early-season Rainier attempt?

Seeing as Rainier just got 8 feet of fresh apparently, and we're flying out to attempt it in 2 weeks I have the sudden urge to bring skis instead of snowshoes. Not looking to do some epic ski descent off the summit, as I'm no expert downhiller, but just avoid a slow slog going up atleast until 10k or so...

Looking to possibly do a Non-DC route out of Paradise (maybe Kautz?) depending on avy ...
Read more : Skis or Snowshoes for early-season Rainier attempt? | Views : 948 | Replies : 2

WA News - Survival in the Cascades

Wow. This guy managed to dial 911 after being buried in an avalanche. Many factors at play here contributing to his survival, but I'm glad he made it out ok.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4147949/buri ... t_id=87249
Read more : WA News - Survival in the Cascades | Views : 2662 | Replies : 8

Any good places to 'aclimatize' before a Rainier summit?

Being a flatlander... I want to be minimize the mpact of altitude when I attempt Rainier.

Are there any accessible high-altitude camps with decent hiking opportunities in the area?

I was thinking about coming out a couple days before Rainier, camp above 9k and (maybe) bag a couple lesser peaks... all while improving my alclimatization.

Any suggestions?
Read more : Any good places to 'aclimatize' before a Rainier summit? | Views : 12300 | Replies : 28

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557969 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136451