It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:33 pm

News News of Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Site map of Pacific Northwest (WA, OR) » Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.

Current conditions for Mt Hood?

A couple buddies and I are thinking about heading out for Mt Hood this weekend and was wondering if anyone has been on it recently. I see that the weather should be gorgeous, meaning climb at night. We were thinking of a midnight to 0300 start, thoughts?

Any need for snowshoes to get up the lifts. NOAA has called for about 8 inches or so the last couple days, did it really happen and is ...
Read more : Current conditions for Mt Hood? | Views : 9261 | Replies : 33

tent for Boston Basin

Heading to BB in late June and wondering about a 3 season or 4 season tent. Have used 4 season tents on Rainier, Adams, Shuksan, but was hoping to get away with a little lighter weight tent this time.
Read more : tent for Boston Basin | Views : 1011 | Replies : 2

highest summit block/pinnacle on Mt. Shuksan?

I'm wondering if some kind soul out there may be able to shed some light or clarify something that's been on my mind for a few months.
Last June I climbed Mt. Shuksan in a snow cloud. We climbed to the top of the eastern most pinnacle of the four very top summit pinnacles. Judging by other pictures and video it looks like the summit pinnacle we were on is considered the highest, but I ...
Read more : highest summit block/pinnacle on Mt. Shuksan? | Views : 2518 | Replies : 5

North cascades in late may - early june

I have an opportunity for a work related trip in Seattle in late may/early june, and I want to know if it is worthwhile planning a few extra days extension for hiking. I would like to travel light and bring only minimal gear. So the question is: at that time of the year, what kind of conditions should I expect? Are summits in the 7000-9000 feet range likely to be mostly snow free?

Thanks, Francois
Read more : North cascades in late may - early june | Views : 11480 | Replies : 10

Wind turbines on Steens Mountain

Some of you may have seen this in the Oregonian sunday, the Harney County government has approved wind turbines on Steens Mountain, with sites in the Puebloes being investigated. If you've ever considered seeing either of these places, this summer will most likely be your last shot before turbines find there way onto Southeast Oregon's most majestic mountains.

Oregonian Article:
http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2010/02/oregons_steens_mountain_could.html

The west and east ridge projects will be on the mid elevation slopes here, ...
Read more : Wind turbines on Steens Mountain | Views : 8221 | Replies : 46

Missing snowshoe

I lost one of my snowshoes on Middle Chawaukum. It is lying between 3100-4600 feet. If you attempt this mountain and find the snowshoe please PM me.

Also the next three days will be the best time to attempt this peak. Six of us have broken a lot of trail here which with make this climb dramatically easier for others.
Read more : Missing snowshoe | Views : 2816 | Replies : 6

missing friend in the Quinalt/Olympic NF area

A fellow hiking friend is missing in the Quinalt area - if any of you happen to be roaming in that area, please be on the lookout for him and his truck. Thanks!

Read more : missing friend in the Quinalt/Olympic NF area | Views : 1818 | Replies : 3

WA in Feb

Howdy,

Looks like work will take me to Seattle in mid-February. I will have between 1-3 days to myself to get outdoors . . . I've never been to the Pacific Northwest and am starting to plan with a blank slate. I'm a very fit hiker, a lousy climber, and have a great love of winter.

Where would you go if you had a day or three?

Any can't miss books (literature or guide) that ...
Read more : WA in Feb | Views : 2261 | Replies : 5

June 5 day backpack ideas

Would like to do a 5 day hike, 2 dads with two 13yo. The boys have been backpacking since age 8 and we are all going this weekend to Mt Rogers (forecast highs 20's, lows 10's, wind and snow). Would like to do something in mid June that is not impassable by snow, bone dry or overrun with bugs or heat. I'm aware conditions always change year to year.

We had thought about River no ...
Read more : June 5 day backpack ideas | Views : 5115 | Replies : 4

Mt Hood?

Anyone been up there lately? I'm looking at the Sandy Glacier Headwall (or potentially the Yocum if the rime looks good). Any info current conditions is much appreciated. Thanks!
Read more : Mt Hood? | Views : 3306 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557968 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136446