Opinions wanted: 75L Backpack

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Wastral

Re: Opinions wanted: 75L Backpack

by Wastral » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:13 am

CiloGear,Osprey, ArcTeryx, CCW, Dana Designs, Gregory, REI, Jansport, they all have the exact same suspension system or close enough to the same.

It stinks. Actually, they suck, as all of them are not stiff enough. I have used, Dana Designs, Osprey, Gregory, CCW, NF, Arc Teryx, and had my hands on CiloGear and REI etc. They are all the same. The only difference is their outside pockets. Big freaking deal. They still Stink.

All of these packs are horrid at hauling loads. IE 75L size and above for things like Winter, bumming around.

If you have the money, get a McHale backpack. Its suspension system gets the stress off of your shoulders and transfers it to your hips. I can't really describe the difference, but it is extreme and far more comfortable. His packs are also made to last forever using spectra etc.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/

The website isn't all that great, but search and you shall find. The Critical Mass Packs are awesome. I own 2 of them bought 2nd hand so got an amazing deal.

I have a Dana Designs 75L pack and Gregory Denali Pro for sale if you wish. You can have either for $150. The Dana is burnt orange and in excellent shape that I picked up for someone else, but they never used. The gregory is highly used but resealed.

radson

by radson » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:03 am

Another way to carry heavier loads.

http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/load_limo.html

bluffview

by bluffview » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Wastral wrote:CiloGear,Osprey, ArcTeryx, CCW, Dana Designs, Gregory, REI, Jansport, they all have the exact same suspension system or close enough to the same.

It stinks. Actually, they suck, as all of them are not stiff enough. I have used, Dana Designs, Osprey, Gregory, CCW, NF, Arc Teryx, and had my hands on CiloGear and REI etc. They are all the same. The only difference is their outside pockets. Big freaking deal. They still Stink.

All of these packs are horrid at hauling loads. IE 75L size and above for things like Winter, bumming around.

If you have the money, get a McHale backpack. Its suspension system gets the stress off of your shoulders and transfers it to your hips. I can't really describe the difference, but it is extreme and far more comfortable. His packs are also made to last forever using spectra etc.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/

The website isn't all that great, but search and you shall find. The Critical Mass Packs are awesome. I own 2 of them bought 2nd hand so got an amazing deal.

I have a Dana Designs 75L pack and Gregory Denali Pro for sale if you wish. You can have either for $150. The Dana is burnt orange and in excellent shape that I picked up for someone else, but they never used. The gregory is highly used but resealed.

Umm, playing devil's advocate here but the whole idea behind a McHale is that it is a custom pack built to fit the original purchaser, part of the reason why they cost more than others. The materials you choose being another factor in the cost. If you bought used and it fits, more power to you. However, saying the others stink isn't true, if the shoe fits... Some people, myself included, don't use a pack often enough or have the funds to justify one of Dan's packs.

I have packs from Lowe Alpine, Gregory, Osprey, Granite Gear, and Black Diamond. For me the Aether fits the best and is the most comfortable. It isn't designed to carry monster loads though, 50 lbs. is about its upper limit.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:06 am

bluffview wrote:Umm, playing devil's advocate here but the whole idea behind a McHale is that it is a custom pack built to fit the original purchaser, part of the reason why they cost more than others. The materials you choose being another factor in the cost. If you bought used and it fits, more power to you. However, saying the others stink isn't true, if the shoe fits... Some people, myself included, don't use a pack often enough or have the funds to justify one of Dan's packs.

I have packs from Lowe Alpine, Gregory, Osprey, Granite Gear, and Black Diamond. For me the Aether fits the best and is the most comfortable. It isn't designed to carry monster loads though, 50 lbs. is about its upper limit.

An ill fitting McHale for over 50lbs is better than any other pack( I have one). Its due to a difference in suspension. Everyone else has the stress points going ONTO your shoulders, wheras McHale packs do not, this is SUPER Critical when wanting to actually CLIMB with a heavy pack as it allows your arms to MOVE instead of having to LIFT your pack up as well as your shoulders/arm/body, but rather through a tension system UP to the top of the stay and then transfers it to your hips. Likewise the dual buckle hipbelt helps create the perfect cant angle for everyones hips. Far more important for those female hikers/climbers among us than us men, but... Hey just something more folks should be aware of.

PS. No load is fun over 50lbs. Anything under 10 days I take a BD shadow 55L pack. Because I too can't afford a new smaller McHale backpack. But, for those who do have the money, they should be aware of what is the "best" out there. Yes, I was lucky and found one that fit. The other McHale I have is a bit small, but is still superior to any other pack I have worn when on approach.

PPS. I personally found the Osprey/Gregory packs dead even, but still inferior to McHale.

MikeyB

by MikeyB » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:34 am

I have been using the Wild Things Andinista and thoroughly like it.

I received an email notification from them and they are back in business selling packs

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wild-thin ... lor=yellow

Previous

Return to Gear