Opsrey Argon VS. Osprey Aether or alternatives?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
kheegster

by kheegster » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:19 am

I have an 85l Aether that I used on Rainier. Great pack, comfortable and lightweight. I don't know about the Argon but I think it's the direct replacement for the Aether (which is no longer in production).

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:10 pm

I also have an 85L Aether I used on Rainer, it worked great. Its almost identical to the Argon, except its a lighter weight pack. The Argon is designed for more brutal usage. Its made from heavier and thicker material to ensure more durability, but that comes at a higher price, and a higher weight. Good to hear your looking at Osprey!

Here's a review I did on my pack.

http://www.spgear.org/reviews/6046/Aether-85.html

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I have the Aether 70 and have used it on Rainier and Shasta, great pack, very comfy.It works very well as a ski pack also. I am looking at buying the 85 for Denali. Scott

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:33 pm

What did you like about the Argon over the Aether ? I see the Argon is almost 2 #s heavier. I am in a purchasing dilema myself for a 5500ci +/- pack for Denali.

kovarpa

by kovarpa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:56 pm

ScottyP wrote:I have the Aether 70 and have used it on Rainier and Shasta, great pack, very comfy.It works very well as a ski pack also. I am looking at buying the 85 for Denali. Scott

You can get by with a 70. Are you going to use the 85 for anything else? Just a thought.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:34 pm

I likely could get by with the 70l (Guide services all reccd 90l) But I think the 85l will also make the family backpacking trips (where DAD carries more than his share) a bit easier! Thanks, Scott[/quote]

simonov

by simonov » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:52 pm

This year I traded in my REI-branded frame pack I bought in 1982 for an Osprey Aether 85. I've taken it out at least ten times since then. It's a great pack, no complaints at all. I own three Osprey products now and I consider them the Honda of the pack business: smart designs, well made.

Last year I bought a Gregory Mt Whitney 95, and simply could not stand it. Hated the design, and it wasn't very comfortable. I used it twice and later gave it to a friend.

I very briefly considered the Argon (this was to be my only overnight pack, for all situations) and was put off by the extra weight as well as bells and whistles (pockets, etc) I was sure I wouldn't need. It reminded me too much of that Gregory Mt Whitney 95.

Here's the Aether 85 at Camp Muir the day after I took it to the summit of Mt Rainier:

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:06 pm

I traded in my Gregory Palisade (7.5 #s!!) for the Aether 70 and loved it. Now I am stepping up in size to the 85l. I love the fit, feel and weight savings of the Aether series.

no avatar
fluxlib

by fluxlib » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:46 pm

Which ever pack you get, have them fit it to you. I have the Argon and would like to have the aluminum bars bent to my back. You can't go wrong with either. I do like the external pockets on the Argon. They are great stashes for jackets and weather gear and quick access stuff. I have streamlined my setup and can carry all my gear within the pack, including a large bear canister. It is on the heavy side these days as everyone goes ultralight. I do think the plush suspension offsets the extra weight of these packs.

Osprey all the way regardless. if you can try them both on side by side, do it.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Hotoven wrote:I also have an 85L Aether I used on Rainer, it worked great. Its almost identical to the Argon, except its a lighter weight pack. The Argon is designed for more brutal usage. Its made from heavier and thicker material to ensure more durability, but that comes at a higher price, and a higher weight. Good to hear your looking at Osprey!

Here's a review I did on my pack.

http://www.spgear.org/reviews/6046/Aether-85.html
Pretty sure the Aether is still in production... They have just changed colors for the new product year.

The Argon is a full-featured bells/whistles pack that weighs over 6 lbs in the 85L size range. It has a comfortable suspension but that suspension weighs a lot.

My Aether 85 weighs almost 2lbs less and has only the main compartment and three stretch pockets along with the removable lid.

I do have one complaint though with the Aether. They don't have a good ice axe retention thingy up high... you are left just to tuck the end of the axe under the lid strap. I have thought of sewing something on to solve this, but I am basically content to just deal with it. I would have definitely traded the extra "airscape padding" on the brain (that allows it to be used as a waist pack) for a good ice axe retainer.

simonov

by simonov » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:48 pm

nhluhr wrote:I do have one complaint though with the Aether. They don't have a good ice axe retention thingy up high... you are left just to tuck the end of the axe under the lid strap. I have thought of sewing something on to solve this, but I am basically content to just deal with it. I would have definitely traded the extra "airscape padding" on the brain (that allows it to be used as a waist pack) for a good ice axe retainer.

An old tradition (now lost?) with backcountry gear has been to modify it and tailor it to your own unique specifications. All you need is a needle and thread, after all.

The first changes I will make to my Aether 85 will be to sew on little attachment points for clips above the elastic side pockets that will allow me to secure the water bottles I keep there. I don't trust that elastic to last more than a few seasons, but with something to clip the water bottles in to make sure they don't fall out accidentally I think it will be fine.

Your suggestion for an upper mounting point for an ice axe is a good one. At first I thought using the "straightjacket" compression straps was fine, but this last weekend I saw the limitation of that approach with my Stratus 24: when you have a lot of gear you want to secure to the back with the straps, the ice axe gets in the way. So thanks to that experience, and your suggestion, that's another alteration I'll be making to the pack.

I have never been interested in the removable fanny pack notion. Everyone I have seen do it has had to fumble around to get the damn thing on or off. Instead, I have an Osprey Daylite pack that can be clipped to the back of my Aether 85:

The clip-on arrangement is a bit of a gimmick, since an empty day pack doesn't take up much room inside the pack, but one could potentially increase pack capacity by clipping a full Daylite onto the back of a mother pack.

E_Rolls

by E_Rolls » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Howdy all,

I have an Argon 85. I had to make my decision based on reviews and the Osprey website cuz of where I live. While I believe you'd get a great pack with either choice I went with the Argon because it has all the extra pockets and straps and is built for heavier loads.

Fast and light go with the aether. I'm usually solo and when I get out I like to stay as long as possile so I take it all. With the Argon you can carry as much as your legs can bear and you won't notice anything from the waist up. I think the bottom line is:

Fast and light...Aether
Slow, heavy and out for a week by your lonesome...Argon

Cheers-E

Next

Return to Gear