Pants Pass

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
thegib

Pants Pass

by thegib » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking for reassurance. I'm planning on taking two timid types over Pants Pass (Kaweah Peaks Ridge) from east to west next week. We're not bringing axes or stiff boots. Anyone have a picture? It's the descent I'm concerned about.
Thanks,

no avatar
mattherrington

Re: Pants Pass

by mattherrington » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Excellent TR with pics of their approach (yours) from the East.
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~glau ... racurr.htm

Most Current pic from Kaweah Gap I've found looking at your descent (7/17 where the pass is clear):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53488169@N ... otostream/

Bill Finch TR, great close in shots of your descent:
http://sekihiker.home.comcast.net/~seki ... /td13.html

Google seach "kern kaweah col" and restrict your results to images and you'll get some good stuff too.

I'm planning on going through Pyra-Queen Col (easier, ~1 mile S, other direction W-E) on the 14th so I'll be watching conditions. Pants is our backup if conditions make our route (in the shadow of Black Kaweah) too tough but I have a great set of images put together (of our route) if you'd like to give it some consideration. There are two good TR's currently on the Whitney Board as well.

mjrangel

by mjrangel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:21 pm

I don't recommend this route to timid types no matter what the conditions are with respect to snow. Without axe and crampons, you'll have to wait until after 12noon to cut steps and if you slip, treking poles won't help you. The gully on the East side doesn't see much sun from what I can recall. Furthermore, with it being so hot down here in the Central Valley, you'd probably run into a T storm in the afternoon. That is a very bad ridge to be on in the afternoon with T storm in the area!

If you end up below Pants Pass and your party decides it is too dangerous, it's a long way around in either direction. Good luck.

thegib

by thegib » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:47 pm

Mattherington,

you are the man. Thanks! That totally clinches it.
Mjrangel, thanks also for the sincere warning.

ROL

by ROL » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:56 am

Here's a look east to west into Nine Lakes Basin from Kern-Kaweah Col:
in 1967 :wink:

My recollection was that at that time it was difficult to decide, from the east, where exactly to cross, but that good map and compass skills and Voge's "A Climber's Guide to the High Sierra" proved invaluable. The slabby descent of the west side is the reason it got its moniker "Pant Pass" – because of "the destructive effect on trousers when descending".

This will likely prove quite the adventure for "timid types". I can't speak to the necessity of ice axe and crampons, but I would suggest carrying a reasonable length of lightweight climbing rope (80 – 100 feet) to rope down the timid types.

Incidentally, I found a small semi–oxidized metal bullion container (Wilson) on the pass, which I still cherish to this day.

thegib

by thegib » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:17 am

That ridge doesn't look to have aged a day in 44 years! My 'timid types' will suck it up.

Return to California