Parking Pass Clarification

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
MarkDidier

Parking Pass Clarification

by MarkDidier » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Is the parking pass needed for the Alpine Lakes Wilderness different than that needed for NC NP? Looks like I will need a Northwest Forest Pass for the Park, just not sure about ALW. I'll be hiking from trailheads near Salmon la Sac when I'm in the ALW. If different, where can I get one?

Thanks

ExcitableBoy

Re: Parking Pass Clarification

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm

You will need the Northwest Forest Pass. EDIT to placate MrChad9, esq, semantics expert: You need only to breathe, eat, and drink. While the Forest Service requires the NW Forest Pass at trail heads accessing the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, you have free will to decide whether to follow this requirement or not. It is the same one used for most trail heads in the North Cascades NP.
Last edited by ExcitableBoy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Thanks...makes things much simpler. I'll just pick up an 8 day supply at the Bellingman REI!

Snidely Whiplash

by Snidely Whiplash » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:46 pm

You need either a seasonal ($30) or day ($5) NW Forest Pass any any improved trailhead, i.e. those with toilet facilities. This pass is good at any Forest Service trailhead with improvements, including Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Goat Rocks Wilderness, Mt. Baker Wilderness, or any other wilderness area in the NW. They are not necessary at unimproved trailheads. They are not good for national parks. For national parks, you'll need the interagency pass, which is good at both national park and national forest trailheads.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:59 pm

If all you are doing is parking, and going into the wilderness and NOT using the facilities, then you DO NOT NEED TO PAY ANY FEES FOR PARKING. There are signs all over saying otherwise, but the fees are illegal.

If the fees are not for parking (i.e. are per person and not per vehicle) then it is different... but no vehicle pass is needed.

Sometimes when in these areas I will fill out the little envelope for a day pass just to avoid any headaches, but I never put any money in it. These are public lands, and I pay more than the average share in taxes. And if you aren't using their facilities, there isn't really any management cost for you to cover.

More information here, many lawsuits in progress:

http://westernslopenofee.org/index2.php ... &pageid=23

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Snidely Whiplash wrote: They are not good for national parks. For national parks, you'll need the interagency pass, which is good at both national park and national forest trailheads.

The North Cascades National Park is not like other National Parks. There are no entrance fees, no concessionaires, no roads, heck even very few trails. Many trail heads in NCNP require the NW Forest Pass though.

From the NCNP website http://www.nps.gov/noca/faqs.htm:
"You do not need a parking pass for any trailheads in the North Cascades National Park Complex.

The US Forest Service requires a parking pass (the NW Forest Pass or the Golden Eagle / Age / Access passes) for some trailheads. Check here for a list of all USFS trailheads in Washington and Oregon that require a parking pass."

As for the legality of requiring a NW Forest pass if you are only climbing, I'll leave that to bona fide legal scholars like MrChad9, esq.
Last edited by ExcitableBoy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Not a legal scholar, ExciteBike... just able to make decisions and come to conclusions for myself. That's all.

Read the website for yourself if you don't understand it yet.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:20 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Not a legal scholar, ExciteBike... just able to make decisions and come to conclusions for myself. That's all.

Read the website for yourself if you don't understand it yet.

I certainly understand the argument, I just chose not give legal advice as I am not a legal expert.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:27 pm

You had to edit your post to add the little "esq."? Good job!

BTW I am not giving legal advice here any more than you are. I am saying you don't need the forest pass, and you are saying you DO need it. Both statements are differing advice regarding the same topic and subject. Your legal advice is simply that the pass is required (and it was incorrect). I gave a source, and never claimed the legal expertise you seem to feel the need to project.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 pm

mrchad9 wrote:You had to edit your post to add the little "esq."? Good job!

I edited my post to add verbiage from the NPS website clarifying parking pass requirements. I changed my initial post to add the little "esq."

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Not sure if this is still relevant, but just FYI, if you have the $80 annual America the Beautiful national parks pass, it IS valid at any trailhead that requires a Northwest Forest Pass. Just make sure the card is clearly visible on your dash, and you should be good to go.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:16 am

Thanks everyone for the input. I also went on the NPS website and also called the forest service. EB seems to have the most accurate assessment from what I was told. There are no fees or parking pass requirements for NC NP trailheads. I was told that it does apply to ALW.

Regardless, looking forward to my first trip to the Cascades. When I get back I'll try to remember to post a TR on my parking pass experiences :lol:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:50 am

Ah... yes no doubt the USFS will ask for the fees to be paid, even if they are unable to enforce them!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:53 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:You will need the Northwest Forest Pass. EDIT to placate MrChad9, esq, semantics expert: You need only to breathe, eat, and drink. While the Forest Service requires the NW Forest Pass at trail heads accessing the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, you have free will to decide whether to follow this requirement or not. It is the same one used for most trail heads in the North Cascades NP.

Ahhh I just read your ex post facto edit here.

You seem to get your panties in a bunch over stuff that isn't even personal. All I did was point out some facts regarding the current legal actions being taken against the USFS and their collection of fees that are in violation of the laws that govern them. Simple facts.

Were you breast fed until you were seven years old?

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Chad is 100% correct about this issue. The Forest Service CANNOT charge anyone for simply parking at any trailhead...developed or not if you don't use any facilities. They will however try their best to brainwash you to get your money!

Now if you use the bathroom, picnic tables, or even read the informative sign, technically you have to pay. I quit buying NW forest passes a couple years ago and have never had an issue.

The following user would like to thank Matt Lemke for this post
MarkDidier, mrchad9

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)