Pico de Orizaba VS Denali

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Cheeseburglar

Re: Pico de Orizaba VS Denali

by Cheeseburglar » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:23 pm

If you want to take and keep your girlfriend, I agree with Fletch. Except forget Cancun. Veracruz is east of Orizaba and it's a nice scenic drive. We drove about halfway to Veracruz when we missed a freeway exit going to Tlachichucha one time. I also prefer small Mexican beach towns over any large coastal resort. Not sure what the beaches are like in the Veracruz area.
I've climbed Orizaba twice and Denali once. Orizaba is about having fun. Denali is about suffering and sneaking in some fun when you can.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Sounds like Wouter should offer to buy Damien some dinners, etc. and hook up with him to climb some of those aforementioned Alps this June. :)

centrifuge

by centrifuge » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:54 pm

I agree with Fletch, if one of your priorities is keeping your girlfriend, Orizaba would be a much better choice. And the whole drug war thing is happening mostly further North, nearer to the Mexico/US border. I know there have been issues in other parts of Mexico as well, but the bulk is on the border.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:23 pm

If you want to take a trip to climb a North American peak this summer that will also provide a good time for your girlfriend, why not Mt. Sunflower?

Here you can not only look at big game, you can hunt it:

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/Big-Game-Information

Your girlfriend will be thrilled to experience the cultural richness of the area.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/location/ks

No way in MX or AK will you see anything like the world's largest ball of twine.

[PS on a serious note, there's lots of great climbing on the West coast of the US that would keep you and your girlfriend occupied. E.g., Rainier/North Cascades + Seattle & Puget Sound area, or High Sierra + SF & LA. You may not set personal altitude records but you can do some world class climbing].

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:57 pm

Within a two hours or so radius of Mexico City are a number of wonderful colonial towns that are well worth visiting: Guanajuato, Cuernvaca, San Miguel de Allende, etc. You could spend a couple of weeks just touring those. I agree that Cancun could be a pass, but the beaches are nice and there's great diving at Cozumel. Plus, if you're tempted to see Chichen Itza and the Mayan ruins (which everyone should see before they die), you might as well go there. I have cousins in Mexico City who like going to Manzanillo when they go to the beach, but I'm not sure if that's just out of convenience or if because it's nicer than other areas like Puerto Escondito, Ixtapa, etc.

Seems like you have a basic choice: go to Mexico and make the girlfriend happy or go to Denali and make yourself happy.

WouterB

by WouterB » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:22 pm

JHH60 wrote:PS on a serious note, there's lots of great climbing on the West coast of the US that would keep you and your girlfriend occupied. E.g., Rainier/North Cascades + Seattle & Puget Sound area, or High Sierra + SF & LA. You may not set personal altitude records but you can do some world class climbing].

My girlfriend visited me here in Switzerland this weekend. I'm back to my original plan of keeping climbing and her away from each other. My eye here fell on a small house on Monte San Salvatore. Instead of driving up, I decided that it would be better to walk up from Lugano, over Monte San Salvatore and back down to the house. Did it myself earlier this week to test how long it would take. Let's just say it took a LOT longer.

I think I'll get in as much climbing here as I can before she gets here (July). Going to Italy somewhere in the coming days for some tourskiing gear and will be tourskiing the coming weekend. Planning to find a solo peak above 3000m as it's my last weekend before Kili. Shouldn't be too hard to find around Andermatt.

To all, thanks for the advice.

WouterB

by WouterB » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Mmh, this might be a good place to start: http://www.summitpost.org/44-3000er-of- ... sin/384503

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Fletch wrote:Wouter - your girlfriend is NOT going to want to hang out in Talkeetna for 3 weeks while you climb Denali. Faaagetaboutit. No way. If she does, she wont be there when you get back.

If you sell Mexico to her in a way that combines (my thoughts here) Orizaba, maybe a day hike for the two of you on a lesser peak, hit up the ruins/temples in the area, then go over to Cancun for a week of massages, pina coladas, and sunsets. That's the approach I would take if you absolutely have to climb Orizaba (my trip to Russia this year was sold much the same way to my wife).

But as Ben says, if you're coming all this way, then check out Central America if you can. I used to live down there and can recommend some great spots if you need some suggestions. Mexico is also full of life and culture - just be careful - not sure if it gets too much press out your way - but there is a big drug war going on in Mexico - so if you stay out of the drug war, Mexico will be a blast.

But Damien is right - give yourself some time to find a partner or two and CLIMB THE ALPS! Very jealous that you live in Switzerland. Be stoked man! Have fun and good luck!

+1 on the Cancun idea if you are bringing your girlfriend. I also have to agree with a lot of the other posts about Orizaba. I just wanted to do it to see how I'd do at the altitude. There are many, many other areas to visit and climb that have a lot more to offer, like the Banff area of the Canadaian Rockies. Plenty for the girlfriend to do also.

Previous

Return to General