barnard to trojan traverse?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
brichardsson

barnard to trojan traverse?

by brichardsson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Has anyone personally done the Barnard to Trojan traverse? Based on this trip report I am thinking about doing a Shepherd Pass to Russell trip. Wondering how sketchy the traverse over from the Bowl would be.
Don't try to argue with idiots. You aren't the dumbass whisperer.

seano

Re: barnard to trojan traverse?

by seano » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Yes. Getting from Williamson Bowl to Trojan is fairly awful, but not difficult.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
brichardsson

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: barnard to trojan traverse?

by Bob Burd » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:12 am

It's class 5 if you stay on the ridgeline between the two, but only class 2-3 if you don't mind dropping 1,000ft or so. From this TR:

In turning my energies towards Trojan, I had a decision to make. Though but a mile distant, the straight line route involved a gap some 1,500ft below Trojan's summit across the middle of the high plateau. Losing all that elevation looked demoralizing. The ridgeline connecting the two peaks dropped maybe a third of this elevation, and the hike from the saddle to Trojan's summit looked straightforward from my vantage. The difficulty in this second approach was the jagged ridgeline between Barnard's summit and the saddle - Secor and others suggest dropping down a 1,000ft to avoid difficulties. So naturally I disregarded the sage advise and chose to attempt to follow the ridge. I was still ahead of the others (Matthew had yet to reach Trojan's summit and Michael was somewhere below me on the face) I reasoned, and could afford some wasted time attempting the ridge - who knows - maybe I'd "discover" a class 3 route. That was all so much wishful thinking, and for a good while I was able to continue the delusion with some success. But the hardest obstacles where closer to the saddle than to Barnard's summit, and so after messing around for 45 minutes or so (actually, there was some enjoyable class 3 along the way), I came upon large, tooth-like monoliths that had class 5 all over them with no apparent way around. The west side of the ridgeline was mostly cliff, while the east side was a steep cover of snow. So on went the crampons, out came the axe, and I proceeded to lose all the elevation I'd fought against. I made a downward traverse to well below the height of the saddle, covering as much distance in 10 minutes as I'd made in the previous 45. I was now staring up 1,000ft to Trojan's summit. I had spotted Michael nearing the Barnard's summit as I removed my crampons, maybe another 15 minutes to go. Matthew as near as I could tell was taking a long break up on Trojan's summit.

Return to California