Barr Trail in late April

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Paraphoe

Barr Trail in late April

by Paraphoe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:16 am

Hey guys. I will be in Denver the last week of April and I’m looking to do the Barr Trail to the top of Pikes, but I have a few questions/concerns.

I’m a relatively inexperienced hiker/climber, but I do have Half Dome and the Presidential Traverse in the White Mountains (Mount Washington) under my belt and am a 30 year old male in excellent physical condition. That being said, I understand that the two hikes mentioned are quite different from an attempt at Pikes and my concerns are twofold: Weather and altitude.

From my research it looks like I’m looking at an average high of about 60-65 degrees in Colorado Springs and 25 degrees on the top of Pikes for the end of April. So it sounds like it’s going to be a COLD hike. I’ve done ALL of my hiking in warm weather only, so I’m a little apprehensive about tackling something like this solo in temps I'm not used to. Is the trail going to be snow-covered still at the end of April? Any recommendations for cold weather gear?

Secondly, altitude – I’ll be in Denver on business for 3-4 days prior to the potential hike, could that help my low-altitude East Coast body adjust? I understand that altitude sickness is a VERY subjective, variable affliction, but as a general rule, is it a major issue on the Barr trail for most? Would it be smart to bring a small bottle or two of Boost oxygen to make sure I can summit?

Any advice appreciated. I’d love to do the climb, but only if I think it’s reasonable for me given the time of year. Thanks in advance.

Teresa Gergen

Re: Barr Trail in late April

by Teresa Gergen » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Look for updated trail conditions on the link from this page:
http://www.14ers.com/photos/peakmain.ph ... Pikes+Peak

Be aware that the parking situation is a mess:
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhea ... hparm=fr09

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 am

Yes, spring in the mountains is all about current conditions. If the trail is dry that's a reasonable day trip for someone who is very fit. Throw in a recent snowfall and an unconsolidated foot of snow and I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes, 3-4 days in Denver will help with acclimation. You're not going to climb like someone who lives at 10K feet but it will help you avoid the negative effects of altitude.

Have fun.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Yes, the Barr Trail will have a lot of snow in late April at high elevations.

No, don't bring bottled Oxygen, but spending some time at Barr Camp may help.

Return to Colorado