Colorado 14ers in late Sept or early October?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
395guy

Colorado 14ers in late Sept or early October?

by 395guy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:42 am

I've only hiked in Colorado mtns in July. I've been up several different 14ers. I was considering a 4- or 5-day trip to bag some 14ers in late Sept or early October... no later than October 8. Is the weather too snowy or too stormy that time of year? I know weather can't be accurately predicted. But what are the trends for that time of year? I was considering peaks in the Collegeate Peaks area... such as Missouri, Belford, the Ivies, etc. What are weather trends for that time of year? Thanks in advance.

seano

Re: Colorado 14ers in late Sept or early October?

by seano » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:57 pm

"Highly variable," with a good chance of shallow snow in places. With the short, cool days, snow that falls on north slopes probably won't melt, so pick some south-facing or ridge routes to have something closer to summer conditions.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes, as said it is very unpredictable. Expect anything from blizzards to summer conditions. It can be really nice, but not always.

technicolorNH

by technicolorNH » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Early fall means less thunderstorms but the clouds often mean snow instead of rain at altitude, and blizzards are possible so gear up accordingly. I've been on Blanca Peak with 25 degree temps and snowing sideways in a howling wind yet it was 65 degrees and sunny in Alamosa 6500 feet down below. No need for crampons or an ice ax but microspikes might be advisable if it has snowed recently.

mattpayne11

by mattpayne11 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:54 pm

As other have suggested, the conditions can vary widely. This year, we have seen early snow, but nothing that would prevent you from attempting some of the easier collegiate peaks, as you suggest. I did Massive in October one year, and it was a blast - plenty of snow!

This will give you an idea of what the conditions are like:

http://www.100summits.com/trip-reports/ ... wonderland

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Current trend is definitely leaning toward stormy. Better weather always seems to be in the forecast but it hasn't gotten here lately. Maybe this weekend?

Return to Colorado