Advice? Climbing around Chamonix in June 2018

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
WillP

Advice? Climbing around Chamonix in June 2018

by WillP » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:25 am

Hi SummitPosters,

I enjoy doing all the research and planning for alpine trips, but I figure it can't hurt (well, 'sticks and stones' kind of can't hurt) to ask for some feedback / advice / alternative suggestions from those with personal experience.

I'm looking to spend June in the Alps. I'm pretty comfortable climbing up to AD+, I've been climbing in NZ's Southern Alps Summer and Winter the last few years, and have been trad climbing for 20yrs. Given it's my first time in the (European) Alps, I'm keen to get some local expertise in the form of guiding, and Jagged Globe have an attractive (if pricey) course that looks about right, with a mix of 1:2 and 1:1 guiding, from 9 to 16 June.

My plan is to fly to Geneva, transfer to Chamonix, and spend a few days acclimatising with day hikes / climbs - any suggestions?

Then do this course, and, following that, rent an apartment in Chamonix for the next couple of weeks, finding partners and objectives as dictated by conditions. Ideally I'd like to focus on some of the 'classics', having been poring over the Moran 4000m guidebook, and the Batoux 'Finest routes' coffetable book. Then fly home from Geneva.

Is this a reasonable plan? Or should I be basing myself somewhere else? Is it easy to find partners for moderate climbs? I'm travelling by myself.

Your thoughts / feedback / suggestions much appreciated.

Return to Europe