Iceland tips

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
klwagar

Iceland tips

by klwagar » Fri May 05, 2006 9:17 am

Hi
Going to Iceland for a month in mid July to mid August. I have read the posts here about it but was just wondering if anyone had some specific tips on good places to do some mountaineering and maybe some hikes other than the famous ones.

Samuli Mansikka

by Samuli Mansikka » Fri May 05, 2006 1:07 pm

Check this if You could find some tips from their programmes:
http://www.mountainguide.is/

klwagar

by klwagar » Sat May 06, 2006 1:01 am

Thanks for the site. There are some good ideas.

Brian Jenkins

by Brian Jenkins » Sat May 06, 2006 1:17 am

Landmannalaugur is a great park to do some hiking and light mountaineering. You'll need a high clearance or 4WD to get there though, many streams to ford. Hvannadalshnukur obviously for mountaineering. That whole crater around Skaftafell has lots of possibilities.

Snaefells in east-central Iceland looked intriguing to me as well and while snow-covered was supposed to have a hiking route to the top. My favorite was Herdubreid for a hike. See my pages on this site for lots of links and suggestions.

If you contact Icelandic Mountain Guides, don't know if he still guides there but there is a guide named Einar who could give some good advice.

<A HREF="http://www.summitpost.org/image/78473/153353/pr-klakkar-is-the-pinnacle-on.html">Kerling</A> also intrigued me in the north and would be a worthy objective.

Good luck, I'm jealous of your trip. :D

klwagar

by klwagar » Tue May 16, 2006 6:27 am

Thanks Brian. Your site is just about the only one I can find with good info. I will contact the mountain guides and see what they say. Thanks again.

Return to Europe