Good (high) sunrise viewpoints in Wallis

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Rick B

Good (high) sunrise viewpoints in Wallis

by Rick B » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:40 pm

This summer I'm going to Wallis for a hiking holiday with my girlfriend. One of the things I wanted to do is an easy hiking mountain (~3000m) to watch the sunrise. Preferably with some glaciers around to spice up the panorama 8) I'm looking for an easy hiking summit (non-technical), climbable in about 2 hrs. from the nearest hut.

Any suggestions??

So far, I was thinking of the Sidelhorn at the Grimselpass, but the terrain and route might be a bit too difficult in the dark / early morning?

JScoles

Re: Good (high) sunrise viewpoints in Wallis

by JScoles » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Take the train up to the http://www.gornergrat.ch/summer/sunrise.php Gornergrat it has the best views.

bbirtle

by bbirtle » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:48 pm

Or Rothorn. I think both have "sunrise" specials, packed with Asian tourists toting the biggest, most expensive cameras you will ever see.

Jungfraujoch might have something similar, if not you could overnight at the Monchjochhutte for your sunrise tea. Nice hut, well-marked non-technical trail about 30 min long from the train station. (Bring little 4-point crampons for the snow, maybe, and some trekking poles).

Rick B

by Rick B » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:43 am

Thanks for the tips, but I don't think I'm going to spend 50+ euros on a train or cablecar packed with Asians with more expensive cameras than mine :wink: Monchjochshutte sounds good though.. I'll see if I can fit that in, since it's in the Berner Oberland rather than Wallis.

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Rif. G.Oberto at Monte-Moro-Pass (~2790m, 3h from Mattmark dam, Saas valley). View into the biggest face of the alps: Monte Rosa east (sunrise!) face.
If you wish you can scramble up the Joderhorn (3037m) in less than one hour.

Cab. Sorebois (2400m, cable car from Zinal), AFAIR not guarded. Corne du Sorebois (2895m) offers round view incl. e.g. Weißhorn. Shouldn't be that expensive than Jungfraujoch ;)

HTH, Martin

Lockhart

by Lockhart » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:58 pm

I'll have to second bbirtle's suggestion of the Mönchjochhütte. The packed trail from the train station to the hut is easy, and the views from the hut are impressive. Here's a sunrise photo from above the hut on the Mönch. You can see the same view from the hut, and no climbing is necessary:

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:48 am

@Mönchsjochhütte: A night at this height requires acclimatization, otherwise it will not be the experience you're looking for...
Apart from the train ticket the hut itself also is said to be quite expensive, e.g. there is no water open to the public except you buy it. It is not a SAC hut but private property.

Martin

bbirtle

by bbirtle » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:56 pm

:o WOW! :o please upload this photo to SummitPost, it's amazing!

Yeah man if you're stressed about the $50 Rothorn or Gornegrot ticket you're going to freak when you see the price tag for Jungfraujoch.

You can always walk up to those places, but they aren't particular quick or easy hikes like you asked for. Walking up is great though - very few tourists, or NONE if slightly off-season, sunrise in peace.

Come to think of it there should be a great sunrise from Blauherd or Sunnega even (midstations on the Rothorn) or from around Rotenboden (halfway up Gornegrot). You can save you knees and take the cablecar *down* once you've soaked in the best mountain view you'll probably ever see. And those hikes should run you maybe 1-3 hours or so.

Rick B

by Rick B » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:51 pm

Thanks for all the tips! The monchjochshutte indeed looks fantastic, but I'm not too keen on the 60+ euros to dish out on the train (I'm on a budget). Acclimatisation might also be a problem since I'm staying in Wallis, so it'd have to be on the way in or out. But I'll definitely keep it in mind for another year, that is one gorgeous photo!

For now I think Rif. G. Oberto and the Joderhorn are on the schedule. Another one I'm considering is Cabane de l'A Neuve, anybody any experiences with that?

@bbirtle, I indeed often take the cable car *down* to save the knees. I might consider Sunegga..

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:39 am

Rick B wrote:For now I think Rif. G. Oberto and the Joderhorn are on the schedule.

Pic of MR east face
Rick B wrote:Another one I'm considering is Cabane de l'A Neuve, anybody any experiences with that?

No, sorry; wonder what peak opportunity you have there? From the map the neighbourhood looks pretty difficult...
Another suggestion in the Bernese Oberland, Kanton Valais: Lötschenpaßhütte (in german only) & Hockenhorn.

Martin

Rick B

by Rick B » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:49 pm

I don't plan to climb anything big at l'A Neuve, just the hut itself already seemed quite spectacularly situated and I already wanted to visit that area. I was hoping for a short scramble behind the hut or something.

Thanks for the new suggestions by the way, I'll check them out!

andre hangaard

by andre hangaard » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:50 pm

Hi Rick!
"An easy hiking summit (non-technical), climbable in about 2 hrs. from the nearest hut":

Definately I would recommend the Mettelhorn. If you are visiting Zermatt, this would be the perfect mountain for you. Check it out in SP. cheers. André

Rick B

by Rick B » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:37 pm

Hey Andre, thanks for the tip! It does look very nice indeed. I assume the hut you'll need is Hotel Trift? The only thing I'm worried about is the snowfield - it might be icy early in the morning. We don't have crampons and my girlfriend doesn't have much experience in snow to start with in the first place. How steep is it?

andre hangaard

by andre hangaard » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:09 am

Hi Rick,
Indeed a very nice and friendly mountain! I recommend you to climb to the Trift hut on the day before, spend the night there and enjoy the tasty three course dinner! Don't worry about the snowfield. It is not steep at all. Mettelhorn is very frequently visited so there should be a good track over the small snowfield from the saddle to the summit. When I was there no crampons were needed. But check the present conditions at the Berg Führer Büro in Zermatt to be on the safe side.
Up on the Mettelhorn you have an outstanding view over Weisshorn-Bishorn, the Mischabel group, Zinalrothorn and Monte Rosa-Matterhorn.
cheers. André

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:05 pm

Mettelhorn takes a good three hours from Trift, but as Andre says it is worthwile. Why not wake up a little bit earlier? :wink:
In summer conditions the snow field is only a flat patch with a big trace on it; the peak itself should be free of snow.

Martin

Return to Europe