Rookie Climber

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
rasgoat

by rasgoat » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:30 pm

I dont know too much about Mont Blanc, but I do know that it is probably not a mountain for a new climber to tackle. :(

Attila the Hun

Mont Blanc by the Gouter route

by Attila the Hun » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:00 pm

Mont Blanc by the Gouter route is just a high altitude slog. It's not technically difficult. I did the Gran Paradiso and then Mont B (as part of a guided 6 day alpine course) - that's the limit of my high altitude experience. As far as I know, most of the deaths on the Gouter route are when the weather closes in and people lose their way and either fall or die of exposure.

Attila the Hun

by Attila the Hun » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:09 pm

HOWEVER, in relation to my earlier post (and through flicking down through the forum), it seems this summer has been shite on the mountain.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/ ... Deaths.php

AndrewSmyth

by AndrewSmyth » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:43 am

If I was you get out there and do a few routes up high over the space of a week. Try Pointe Lachenal Traverse (a great little mixed route near tacul on the other side of the Mer de Glac), Midi Plan Traverse, or if you are OK on rock, the Arete de Cosmiques.

Also Petite Verte, from the Montets cable car, would be a great starter for ten. The route up the left hand side is a PD+ but just be wary of the cornice. The normal route is, in my opinion, too easy unless it is your first ever day out after a skills course.

if you get 2-3 climbs in and feel good, have a crack at the traverse route of Mt Blanc, of course conditions and weather permitting.

However, make sure you are with someone who knows the local area and conditions/weather, it can bite if your not careful!

eza

And about the Pyrenees...

by eza » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:53 pm

About the Pyrenees, what kind of a climb are you thinking about? Please give me some more data, I might be able to suggest something :wink:

Return to Europe