Can anyone recommend a good map for the Alps?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:57 am

Leviathan wrote:
sjarelkwint wrote:If you can't navigate a alpenverein carte of 1:25.000 i think you can better stay in the alps :-)

i love the 1:25.000 and 1:50.000 cards of alpenverein

Not so fast, eh... I NEVER mentioned the AV maps as being unnavigable. I just stated my opinion that AV maps are a wee bit chaotic compared to the newer ones of Swisstopo.

Swisstopo is in my opinion by far superior when it comes up to topo maps of the Alps. Having said that, AV makes good, accurate maps, i am just spoiled when it comes up to topo maps of "civilised" countries. (Read OS, ST, TD, USGS)

Let me post two examples; one from AV 5/1; Karwendelgebirge West

and this one from ST 1198; Silvretta

Images are scanned at the same resolution; 600 DPI 24-bit colour, then converted to JPG.

sjarelkwint wrote:if you go to andes or less civilised countries you won't find better cards then those ...

Aye. In Morocco i would've loved having anything near the quality of AV. Those maps are so shite that i had to go in and make some edits...

http://www.summitpost.org/image/359667/359525/toubkal-map.html

Cheers,
Clint.

Clint, there're Morrocan maps better than that, mine has contour lines

Diego Sahagún

Re: Can anyone recommend a good map for the Alps?

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:16 am

MountaingirlBC wrote:My local map shop that has a zillion maps of everything has jack squat for the alps so I want to order something online. I need a good topo (or topos) that will cover Mont Blanc to the Matterhorn including the Italian side. Can anyone recommend something? Thanks much!

You'd better look for 1:50000 or 1:25000 maps. Aside SAC maps for the Swiss areas I have the Italian IGN 1:25000 Cervino-Matterhorn-Breuil Cervinia-Champoluc (108), wich includes AT routes.

French IGN 1:25000 SAINT-GERVAIS-LES-BAINS/MASSIF DU MONT-BLANC (GPS) - 3531ET is one of the best Mont Blanc maps in my opinion

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:57 am

Diego Sahagún wrote:Clint, there're Morrocan maps better than that, mine has contour lines.

The Spanish company Orientazion has recently published this map of the Toubkal area

Previous

Return to Europe