Mountaineering courses in Germany

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
dermeister2007

Mountaineering courses in Germany

by dermeister2007 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Ok, so I am wanting to know where in Germany is a good place to learn how to climb. I mean everything from ropes and using crampons and stuff like that. Plus I am wanting to use those new skills to climb a non technially difficult mountain in the Swiss Alps area. I'm shooting for either the ugspite (note a key on my keyboard doesnt work so figure out how to spell Germanys tallest mountain) and Mount Blanc. What to yall think? :?

JoGe

by JoGe » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi.

I don't know whether you speak German or not, but your best shot to start with is most likely the DAV.... (Deutscher Alpen Verein). Their webpage: http://www.alpenverein.de/

Apart from that, probably local guides/courses exist too.

/JG

trad brad

by trad brad » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:55 pm

when i was stationed in germany i was a member of the dav - in addition to excellent friends and companions for the mountains you get access to one of the most organized clubs as far as trips, instruction, etc. also discounts and ability to reserve huts/bunks is a plus for summertime mountaineering.

Joe Fratianni

by Joe Fratianni » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi, I am a guide for the Salzburg Alpenverein. Though not in Germany, I am close enough. I am an American who has been here for over fifteen years. I do a number of course programs for the Salzburg Alpenverein. I have had Austrian Alpenverein members from England for various training and course programs in ther past.

Course participants must be Austrian Alpenverein members, otherwise there are no other preconditions. Of course I could (and have) done course for th organization in English.

You can get some more info about me from my webpage/blog at www.austrianalpine.com, and also contact me per email if you want.

Return to Europe