Glacier courses in the Alps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
luppino1

Alps Guide

by luppino1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:43 pm

Contact Michael Silitch, a guide working out of Chamonix, FR. He will tailor to whatever you want/need and he's a top drawer guide/instructor with many years experience. I just did a weekend with him as I am doing prep work for Denali and he tailored to exacting what I needed without what I did not.

isostatic

by isostatic » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:29 am

Nothing is secret now when we have Google Translate
http://translate.google.com/translate_t ... =nl&tl=en#

WouterB wrote:Koen, als jij Wilfried persoonlijk kent, moet je hem anders even vragen of hij mij kan contacteren. Hij reageert namelijk niet op mijn mailtje... .

Koen, Wilfried if you personally know, you ask him otherwise or he can contact me. He does not respond to my email ...

Koen wrote:Wouter,
ik heb een pm naar je gestuurd met Wilfried zijn telnr, dan kan je hem opbellen.
Succes ermee,
Koen

Wouter,
I have sent you a pm with Wilfried telnr, you can call him.
Luck,
Koen

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:58 am

My favorite area in Mont Blanc range : Dômes de Miage. Many F/PD courses from Conscrits hut on Tré-la-Tête glacier.

http://www.summitpost.org/parent/151718 ... es-de.html

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33079

Nice looking mountain, but I don't see the point of it in this thread... .

sjarelkwint wrote:I also want a special course for one mountain but i also wanne do some nice alpine stuff so the course of the kbf (belgian climbing community) is great for me ...

For wouter ... If you wanne go with kbf you first need to do a rock climbing school ...

As I told you before... . I'm not interested in rock climbing, apart from what I know already. KBF is too expensive anyways. AND they offer a lot of stuff in their course that I'm not interested in.

sjarelkwint wrote:I'm looking for a course so i can do F and PD routes on my own ... Is there any course to go for the harder routes or is it just DIY?

Wanne have fun in the Alps, but only in a safe way.

It's DIY, now open your own topic!

luppino1 wrote:Contact Michael Silitch, a guide working out of Chamonix, FR. He will tailor to whatever you want/need and he's a top drawer guide/instructor with many years experience. I just did a weekend with him as I am doing prep work for Denali and he tailored to exacting what I needed without what I did not.

Do you have his contact details? Did you do a typical weekend (2 days), and how much did you pay? Thanks in advance for the info! :shock:

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:40 pm

WouterB wrote:
Mihai Tanase wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33079

Nice looking mountain, but I don't see the point of it in this thread...

WouterB wrote: So if anyone knows a relatively cheap snow/glacier course in the Alps, let me know!

It's quite difficult to me to understand what are you looking for :shock:

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:It's quite difficult to me to understand what are you looking for :shock:

Sorry, I'm looking for an organisation or person who can teach me about traveling safely on glaciers.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Contact Christian Herzog at Patagonia shop in Chamonix
store_chamonix@patagonia.com

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:13 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:Contact Christian Herzog at Patagonia shop in Chamonix
store_chamonix@patagonia.com

Thanks, will do!

WouterB

by WouterB » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:44 am

Koen, we might meet each other in "La Reid" this weekend! No idea what to expect, since I got no info, so I'll be the guy lugging everything on his back, just to be prepared :).

John Climber

Re: Glacier courses in the Alps

by John Climber » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Hello WouterB,

I can give you a course on that exactly that you want in South Spain or in the Pyreneeës (preferiblely south Spain, Sierra Nevada, full of snow this year!!). And I think that it would not be so expensive as you think.

Send me a PM for more details.

Het kan ook in het Nederlands hoor. Ik spreek gewoon NLs.
Groeten,

Jon

WouterB wrote:Most courses cover everything. That's probably also why they are so expensive. I think it's about time I did something, even if it was to make sure that what I'm doing is relatively safe.

But, I don't want to spend ten days doing exercises. I just want to be walking and having fun. I found a course which covers:
    *Knots
    *snow
    *ice
    *rock
    *orientation
    *preparation
    *evacuation
    *walking safely on a gletsjer
    *securing on short difficult routes
    *level f-PD/E-WS climbs

However, as I said, I'm only interested in the snow and glacier stuff. I know how to read a map, prepare, climb rock, ... and I'm sure that I know enough knots to safely hang myself :P.

So if anyone knows a relatively cheap snow/glacier course in the Alps, let me know!

Previous

Return to Europe