late January trip to Spain- recommendations?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
nikolai

late January trip to Spain- recommendations?

by nikolai » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:57 pm

I would like to go somewhere in Spain for one week. My goals for the trip are to:

do two or three long hikes in some hills/mountains
practice speaking spanish
eat street food, drink beer, and sleep

I will probably not rent a car so I would like a recommendation of a town I can get to by bus/train that has hiking options right in the town or has hiking options easily accessed by public transport from the town.

I am only interested in hiking on this trip. I am not interested in going to the Sierra Nevada in snowy conditions, and I am not interested in rock climbing. Just two or three walks in the hills. From perusing the mountains listed on SP, I was considering Marbella or Nerja near Malaga.

Any suggestions of a town to stay are appreciated.

Thanks!

Nikolai

Gabriele Roth

by Gabriele Roth » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:25 pm

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/240731/Montserrat.html
and if weather is bad you can visit Barcelona ...

John Climber

Hiking in Spain in January (with good weather)

by John Climber » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:19 pm

Think about coming to Marbella region as a starting-point for a several days trip to Sierra Blanca (for La Concha) and Sierra de las Nieves (for Torrecilla). Also Sierra de Grazalema is a perfect place for hikes with starting point at Grazalema-village (see Torreón in SP)

Feel free to contact me for more info.

Good luck

Luiso

by Luiso » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:55 am

Another option with probably some snow but nothing that you can't resolve with good boots, gaiters and poles: Guadarrama.

It's near Madrid where you can "practice speaking spanish, eat street food, drink beer, and sleep". From there, you can get trailheads (Puerto de Navacerrada, Cercedilla, Manzanares, even La Granja, etc.) by train or bus in 1 or 2 hours. Train is very convenient for schedulle and frequence. And really, in Puerto de Navacerrada or Cercedilla, the routes begin in the station!

You can see some posibilities in the pages of Peñalara, La Maliciosa, Monton de Trigo and Siete Picos, here in SP. There is some routes in any of them. Also, you have some routes in La Pedriza (page in SP, too) but the trailhead is some kilometers away the village.

nikolai

by nikolai » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:19 pm

Thanks for the input guys.

I just bought plane tickets to Malaga for the last week of January!

I haven't worked out accommodations yet, but I did price rental cars and I can get one pretty cheap, So I'll probably go ahead and plan on driving.

Spain!

John Climber

by John Climber » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:50 pm

nikolai wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

I just bought plane tickets to Malaga for the last week of January!

I haven't worked out accommodations yet, but I did price rental cars and I can get one pretty cheap, So I'll probably go ahead and plan on driving.

Spain!

Good choice,...If you need any helf, please let me know...I am based in Málaga.

Return to Europe