another name for orizaba

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Das Foultier

Re: another name for orizaba

by Das Foultier » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:40 am

I believe its called Citlaltepetl. Citlal is a star. From a distance the snow cap looks like a shining star on the horizon. Tepetl, or tepic is a hill or mountain. Any mountain that big deserves many names, it can be seen from many locations that speak different Nauhuatl dialects.

Stuart B

by Stuart B » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:37 pm

Arqueologia Mexicana Vol.VIII No. 43 (June 2000) has a great article on the various names of Nevado de Toluca:

Xinantecatl
Tzinacantecatl
Chicnauhtecatl
Chicnahuitecatl
Xinacatecatl
Xinacantecatl

Phew!

...and gives Poyauhtecatl as an alternative for Orizaba.

...and in Wales at the moment there is some debate on whether to completely adopt the Welsh language names of mountains rather than English.

no avatar
edouet

by edouet » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:38 am

When I went there, local people talked also about Venus, and I understood that "Citlatepetl" meant the "Peak of Eastern Star", as they can see Venus rising above the Orizaba.

I was also told that, according to a Nahuatl legend, the God Quetzalcoatl was burried at the summit of the Peak ( of course, every high mountain on this planet is home of a local god ).
Is the Pico of orizaba "young" enough to have erupted during man occupation of the country, so that first inhabitants could see a star ( volcanic shining lava ) at the summit????

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean