Spanish climber dies 10m from Aconcagua Summit

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Xim

Spanish climber dies 10m from Aconcagua Summit

by Xim » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:08 am

<a href=http://www.marca.es/edicion/marca/otros_deportes/montanismo/es/desarrollo/607543.html>Muere un joven escalador español en la cumbre del Aconcagua
</a>

It seems that cause of death was a sudden heart failure. Borja Oviedo was 30 years. RIP

Alpinist

Re: Spanish climber dies 10m from Aconcagua Summit

by Alpinist » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:38 pm

This is very sad. I can't find the story in any of the usual places yet. Does anyone have a link to the story in English?

Edit: I found this on <A HREF="http://www.aconcagua.com/home/frame.htm">Aconcagua.com</A> under Todays News.

<b>11 Jan 2006 - Spanish climber dies in the Aconcagua</b>

A Spanish mountaineer died today when just ten metres from the summit of the Aconcagua mountain, the highest peak in the Andes.
30 year old Borja Oviedo suffered a heart attack just short of the 6,962m high summit. He was part of a group of 13 climbers who were climbing the summit with a group of three local guides. The group had been camped just short of the summit for several days because of a storm and high winds.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:19 pm

I met some of those folks in that party coming down (though I´m not exactly sure which one he was). Good group... terrible luck. The winds up there were pretty unbelievable.

William Marler

by William Marler » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:22 pm

Saw that group as we were heading down. A lot of them were really struggling. A lot were not carring anything. I dont know who had the water ect. This is a very sad story. Glad I was not around when they dragged his body down over the rocks.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:00 pm

Welcome back William. Congrats on a successful trip for you and your team.

Were you on the summit the same day as the Spanish team? Perhaps they carried water bottles inside their jacket pockets to keep them from freezing?

William Marler

by William Marler » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:15 pm

Hello Alpinist. We passed them on the way down. Perhaps you are right. They may have had their water inside their jackets. Had not considered that. The initial reation from us was that they were underequiped. While you can watch out for AMS how do do you watch for a heart attack. Especially a 30 year old who just had a physical exam by a physician at base camp. Tragic.

Return to South America