Camping in the Dolomites

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
arrampicatore

Camping in the Dolomites

by arrampicatore » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:55 pm

I wish to find out about free camping in the Dolomites. I once camped at Sella Pass on the side of the road and later under Tofana di Rozes by the Dibona Hut late in the season, and also in the area to the East of the Lavaredo Hut. Is it still possible to camp at these places, and what other places are there still open to this type of camping? Also, how is "car camping" regarded/accepted at trail heads or carparks and is this policed if not accepted?

SANHawkeye

by SANHawkeye » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Well...
around the Sellajoch camping is forbidden.
If you do, the Polizia Communale di Canzei will ask für for a "donation" at 0600 am. :wink:
What i heard about, you can spend for this money the night in a hotel. :shock:
Might be the owner of Pian Schianvaneis ( a restaurant close to the road near the beginning of the Mittagstal) will allow you on his ground...
Long time ago that i `ve been there

Carcamping is accepted at serveral passes and carparks of cable cars.
There you have somtimes to take care to which town the area belongs because on the area of several towns camping is generally forbidden. So look out for shields "Camping vietato" when approaching a village or a boarder between two villages.
You `ll find them if there is a campground in the village.

I did without problems near the Falzarego at the parking of the Lagazuoibahn and on Passo Giau and at Grödner Joch. Also at Pordoijoch its possible i think.

Whether camping is policed if not accepted depends IMO on if there is an urban police like in Canazei.

ganesh70

by ganesh70 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Free camping is not allowed not only in the dolomiti but everywere in the italian alps.
But of course many people camp in the mountains, and if you just sleep in the tent, you don't light fires, and you go away early in the morning, you shouldn't have problems. Avoid passes anyway.
No problems if you sleep in the car.

mvs

by mvs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:45 pm

I take a bivy sack and sleep right by the car. Never got in trouble yet, but that doesn't mean much! Probably slept at the Sella Pass 4 times.

Koen

carbivvying

by Koen » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:44 am

Last year in september we saw several campers and cars parked at trailheads to climbing routes on the road from Canazei to Sella pass, just underneath the pass. We assumed that were climbers sleeping in their car/van. No problems it seemed as long as you're parked legally, I'd say.

I've bivvied on carparks next to and in my car many times, all around the Alps. No problems apart from funny looks on faces of early visitors... Sleeping in toilet facilities near skilifts isn't always that appreciated, it seems... Keeps you warm though.

arrampicatore

by arrampicatore » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:07 am

Many thanks to: SANHawkeye, Ganesh70, mvs and Koen for your answers to my query on free camping in the Dolomites. :D :D

mvs

by mvs » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Make that 5 times now :lol:

Return to Europe