Phoenix day outing ideas

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Tonka

Phoenix day outing ideas

by Tonka » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:25 pm

I will be in the Phoenix area for Thanksgiving and I have set aside at least one full day for a day climb/hike of something. Besides seeing the Grand Canyon I'm ashamed to say that I've never really spent any time in AZ. I will be bringing my girlfriend along so nothing too brutal. Also, looking for something fairly close. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

surgent

by surgent » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:11 pm

Echo comment on Piestewa/Camelback's parking. Especially on Thanksgiving weekend, it will be very crowded. Most regular weekends getting a parking spot at either of these two peaks is a challenge. Despite that and the continuous humanity, these are pretty nice, energetic climbs, each with about 1,200 feet of gain. Piestewa has a better overall "trail" while Camelback has more low-end rock hopping and one section with handrails that sometimes scare off people although it's very safe.

The McDowell Mountains Preserve in Scottsdale/Fountain Hills are nice, probably won't be as crowded and not as far a drive out of town either. Also consider some of the peaks up in north Scottsdale/Cave Creek such as Pinnacle Peak, Black, Skull, etc. Many have SP pages. Much depends on your location; if you're in Phoenix proper or west in Glendale, consider the White Tank Mountains also. Most of the outlying peaks and ranges get moderate traffic. The urban peaks get a lot of traffic.

taxinvestor

by taxinvestor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Tonka

by Tonka » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. I will add that my day is the Wed. before thanks giving and I'm familiar with Camalback. I'm looking for something a little more challanging and not so urban. But not class 4 :oops: I mean my girl would freak out...ya that's it, she would freak out :D

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:04 pm

First of all, good luck on your trip. Did you ever consider a trip to Sedona? I believe its
within 100 miles north of Phoenix as the crow flies ...

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:06 pm

Intermediate is the hike to the Flatiron from Lost Dutchman state park. You don't actually have to go to Lost Dutchman and pay the fee, as there is a spur trail starting in a neighborhood just to the S, in a sort of mock wild-west town.
http://hwstock.org/sup/html/IMG_4219.htm

Steven Cross

by Steven Cross » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:42 pm

lcarreau wrote:First of all, good luck on your trip. Did you ever consider a trip to Sedona? I believe its
within 100 miles north of Phoenix as the crow flies ...

I agree with Icareau. I was also going to suggest Sedona. Check out Wilson Mtn.
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... anyon.html

Superstitions are not a bad suggestion as well.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:49 pm

What? You mean somebody actually AGREES with me on an SP-forum page ???

Holy Cow - will miracles never cease :?: :?:

:shock:

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)