The Difference between snowshoes

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Hotoven

The Difference between snowshoes

by Hotoven » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:17 pm

I recently bought the MSR Denali Evo Snow shoes. They were on sale so I jumped on the opportunity. I then realized that there were Denali Evo Ascent shoes that are made for more steep terrain. I would like to use my snow shoes on steeper slopes, but is the difference between the two that much that it really matters? Should I return the Evos and get the Evo Ascents? Are they much better at steeper terrain or is there not much of a difference at all. The Evo Ascents are much more expensive, but I really want to get the right ones, so I won't mind the extra cash it cost.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:22 pm

MSR's "ascent" models have a flip-up "televator" thingy that supports your heels on steeper slopes. I like this feature -- a lot -- but then I'm a wimp :)

btw There's a 25% off sale on MSR snowshoes at backcountrygear.com right now ..

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:40 pm

rhyang wrote:MSR's "ascent" models have a flip-up "televator" thingy that supports your heels on steeper slopes. I like this feature -- a lot -- but then I'm a wimp :)

Ok thanks, I knew thats what it had, but wasn't sure it was worth the price.

pinscar

by pinscar » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Oof. I HATE snowshoes. Skiing is more efficient (in my most humble opinion). Also more fun on the downhill.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:45 pm

Hotoven wrote:
rhyang wrote:MSR's "ascent" models have a flip-up "televator" thingy that supports your heels on steeper slopes. I like this feature -- a lot -- but then I'm a wimp :)

Ok thanks, I knew thats what it had, but wasn't sure it was worth the price.

Don't pay retail -- that's what the internet is for :)

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:53 pm

I've had my evo ascents for 6+? Years now. I've just this season replaced two of the straps on them. They're bomber, I have never thought twice of another style or brand.
Traversing hard snow - childs play
Ascending fluff to packed hard snow- awesome
Smashing back country powder, blazing over logs through small streams - perfect
Shin fatigue - almost non existant

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks again, I just ordered the Evo Ascents!

drpw

by drpw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:25 pm

I've only used the molded plastic shoes, and really like the ability to just crush through bare spots over rocks and dirt without worrying about the shoe. Is this a problem with frame style shoes like the lightning? I like the idea of the extra teeth the lightnings have but like the durability of the denali's.

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:49 pm

I have a pair of both denali ascents (old style, 2003) and lightning ascents (late 2005 or 2006).

The denali's are pretty durable. I have replaced several of the straps (you can buy extras from MSR). Once one of the riveted posts that holds the tails broke off -- had to rig it with a stove bolt.

I worry about the lightning's durability on rocks and such, but the 25" models are lighter than the denali's with tails. I use them when carrying an overnight pack. If I need to take them off and carry them on the pack, then I just do that.

Last season one of the rivets on the lightning bindings broke on both sides. It was the older binding with two straps in front and one in the back. MSR sent me brand new 3-strap bindings. I haven't had any durability issues with the decking yet, but it is getting frayed in places, and as I said I take them off if I am going to be walking on rocks.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:40 am

rhyang wrote:blah blah blah blah blah

Snowshoes are like skis - it's all about personal preference. If you intend to do a lot of steep stuff, a heel rise is a useful thing. It'll simply cut down on leg fatigue.

MSR Ascents are good shoes, especially the lightning ascents with the teeth built right into the frame. Be certain you purchase a surface area that will accommodate your weight plus pack/gear, particularly if you intend to head into b/c, otherwise you'll be post-holing with a lot of dragging surface area. You'd be hard pressed to buy a 30" unless you have one of those bicycling guts requiring an XXL jersey.

Beyond that snowshoes have a lot of gimmicks. Atlas uses the "spring-loaded" crampon. It's bullpucky. You'll still get snow up yer arse. Tubbs are good on a higher end shoe and are best for easy bindings. MSR plastics are noisy and the "add-the-tail" feature is bullpucky as well. It doesn't address the resulting shift in your center of gravity with a greater surface area behind you so you're still screwed. You'll just be screwed on tip rather than tail.

Joe White

by Joe White » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:00 am

pinscar wrote:Oof. I HATE snowshoes. Skiing is more efficient (in my most humble opinion). Also more fun on the downhill.

I find that its really route dependant as to which is more efficient and also to what length of trip one is embarking on.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:00 am

Just wondering if there's anymore sales on the MSR Denali Evo Ascent Snowshoes. I got my pair in time, but the sale ended before my friend got online. Are there any sites that have sweet deals giving this fine Holiday season?

rhyang

by rhyang » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:14 pm

Yep - 20% off snowshoes at ems.com and at alssports.com (plus an additional 10% off with coupon code 'ALS')

Everything goes on sale eventually :)

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:20 am

rhyang wrote:Yep - 20% off snowshoes at ems.com and at alssports.com (plus an additional 10% off with coupon code 'ALS')

Everything goes on sale eventually :)

No doubt! Thanks to you, my friend is happy with a new pair of snowshoes!

Return to Gear