Non-Stop Rain for Southwest

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
JBRunyan

Non-Stop Rain for Southwest

by JBRunyan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:07 pm

I dont know how many of you are living in the Las Vegas area, but it has been getting nailed with rain. I was curious what you guys thought Mt. Charleston is looking like right now? Is it possible they are getting snow up there during all these storms? I really wanna get out and do some skiing when all this weather finally gets outta here.

MoapaPk

Re: Non-Stop Rain for Southwest

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 pm

JBRunyan wrote:I dont know how many of you are living in the Las Vegas area, but it has been getting nailed with rain. I was curious what you guys thought Mt. Charleston is looking like right now? Is it possible they are getting snow up there during all these storms? I really wanna get out and do some skiing when all this weather finally gets outta here.

Oh yeah. Not as much as the wildest estimates, but I'm guessing there will be about 3' more of powder (compared to last Sunday) by this weekend. I just walked home from the gym through sleet (at 3000' elevation W of Vegas).

http://www.skilasvegas.com/winter/condi ... now_report

JBRunyan

by JBRunyan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:21 pm

Dang 15 new inches in the past 24 hours, and the base at 48 inches. Moapa, Where would you suggest some decent areas to head up for backcountry? You seem very familiar with the area so any advice on a good spot for a few quick runs and without any avalanche danger. Hopefully, it will clear up this weekend or else Ill have to make a quick trip up this next week in the morning before classes start :)

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:36 pm

JBRunyan wrote:Dang 15 new inches in the past 24 hours, and the base at 48 inches. Moapa, Where would you suggest some decent areas to head up for backcountry? You seem very familiar with the area so any advice on a good spot for a few quick runs and without any avalanche danger. Hopefully, it will clear up this weekend or else Ill have to make a quick trip up this next week in the morning before classes start :)

Even if the storm manages to stop by Sunday, the snow is still going to be pretty unconsolidated up there. So anything worth skiing is also going to be potential avalanche danger, if I'm not mistaken.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:39 am

JBRunyan wrote:Dang 15 new inches in the past 24 hours, and the base at 48 inches. Moapa, Where would you suggest some decent areas to head up for backcountry? You seem very familiar with the area so any advice on a good spot for a few quick runs and without any avalanche danger. Hopefully, it will clear up this weekend or else Ill have to make a quick trip up this next week in the morning before classes start :)

If you have an acceptable vehicle, go to the true start of the North Loop Trail (across and a fraction of a mile from Hilltop campground) at ~8600'. If you get there before the snowshoers pack it down (likely), you will have powder all the way up to the ridge. Good for telemarks.

Most of the slopes are under 25 degrees, so that is one of the few areas steep enough to get some speed, yet below most avalanche warnings.

But still be careful.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)