chouinard figure 8 history question

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
stormflap

chouinard figure 8 history question

by stormflap » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:43 am

last year i bought a used figure 8 at an outdoor thrift shop. its by chouinard. im guessing its from the 90s but im not sure. it says "italy" on it but i didnt know the company ever did anything there. so im just wondering what italy has to do with this piece if anyone knows?

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:01 am

Sounds like a great artifact. If it has the <c> (diamond-C) It would be earlier than 1988 I think. Someone correct me if they know better. That is about the time He flipped it over to Black Diamond. I have a whole rack of that old stuff. If it says "Made in Italy" that might be older.

Send an email to these guys: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... contact-us

They can probably give you the whole story.

stormflap

by stormflap » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:10 am

SpiderSavage wrote:Sounds like a great artifact. If it has the <c> (diamond-C) It would be earlier than 1988 I think. Someone correct me if they know better. That is about the time He flipped it over to Black Diamond. I have a whole rack of that old stuff. If it says "Made in Italy" that might be older.

Send an email to these guys: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... contact-us

They can probably give you the whole story.

yep a diamond with a c inside. you are pretty much right it was at or after 89 when it became BD. its a pretty cool piece to have. when i got it last summer i didnt know who chouinard was. ill be using it soon hopefully 8)

mtngeek

by mtngeek » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:58 pm

The named changed to BD but the old <C> logo remained for quite a while. The change to the current BD logo that we know is recent in terms of the company's history. I have some BD Arc Ascent skis that I purchased new around 2001 (+/- a year) which still had the <C> logo. However, the "Made in Italy" would probably suggest it's at least mid-80's if not older judging by some of my father's Chouinard carabiners which say "Made in Italy."

stormflap

by stormflap » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:18 pm

do you think its safe to use? its in pretty used condition. then another question.. an atc has more uses than a fig8 right? i shouldnt have an atc and a figure 8 on the same rack correct?

mtngeek

by mtngeek » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm sure many others can comment on an ATC v. figure 8; and I'm sure you can search about it too. My brief summary would be that you can use a figure 8 in more ways, but does it matter? No, it still does the same job.

Is it safe to use? I'm not sure anyone could say with 100% certainty, but I would use it as long as: there is no obvious damage (knicks, cracks, burrs, gouges from rope wear, etc...), there is no corrosion, and looks fine overall. (Note: I don't use figure 8's though because I prefer an ATC)

Worse comes to worse, you can keep it as an artifact of climbing history :D

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Figure-eights have their uses, but climbers rarely use them anymore. They do have a following and there are some that might recommend you use it for just about everything, but I'm not one of them.

An ATC-type device is much more versatile. The most versatile are the auto-blocking tube-style devices - Petzl Reverso or Black Diamond ATC Guide. Either of those will do everything you could ever need - belay a leader, rappel on one or two strands, and the nice thing that few other devices do: bring up two seconds independently with an auto-block.

I have an ATC Guide and wish I had a Reverso for smoother feeding with fat ropes. Either is about $30.

If you're just starting out and on a very tight budget, a Wild Country VC Pro 2 is dirt cheap ($15) and will belay a leader or rappel on two strands. But, if you start leading you're probably going to want something else.

Return to Gear