Big Trees?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:36 pm

I don't know what the snow is like there at this time but you might check out the Freeman Creek Grove, north of Kernville.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/recreat ... eman_creek

home of the George Bush tree...

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Sean Kenney wrote:I don't know what the snow is like there at this time but you might check out the Freeman Creek Grove, north of Kernville.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/recreat ... eman_creek

home of the George Bush tree...

That's going to be pretty hard to get to this time of year and would involve a fair bit of snowshoeing to get to the trees themselves, especially the Bush Tree, which is at the far end of that trail.

Personally, I think it's worth it, even for a day drive. The trees are really that cool. I think you've got two basic options: the trees in the Upper Tule area (Giant Sequoia NM) and driving to Sequoia NP for the Giant Forest. For the NP, it's a longer drive but lots of big trees. You'll snowshoes to get very far but probably well worth the effort.

For the upper Tule, I think you're best bet is to hit the Amos Alonzo Stagg Tree up near Sequoia Crest. We have a cabin in Camp Nelson, which is down the hill from it, and there are groves there but they really aren't accessible this time of year. The Stagg tree is accessible in winter, and while you'll have to hike to reach the tree itself (the 6th largest in the world and the largest on private land), the trail is packed down some you'll be fine without snowshoes. You'll also see lot of big trees en route in the community of Sequoia Crest itself and on the hike to the tree. You can get specific directions to the tree at the restaurant in Pierpoint Springs, which is along the highway to get there. It'll be about 3.5-4 hrs. from Glendale. Bring chains.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:12 am

WOW! I would love to see those trees!

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Bob.... another thing about California. Cars, Cars, Cars, we love then and use the heck out of them. For me 4 /5 hours of driving are nothing, if your getting someplace really cool. Just avoid the rush hour (s) .... getting out of town. Look at a map - driving from Glendale to Sequoia, up the 99, is a fun drive up the grapevine, through the southern part of the CV.... you can see just where most of the food comes from.... The road to the giant forest is plowed 99% of the time... on the way back, take the 58 and drive out via Mojave and back to Glendale.

If you do this you will see some other things, like Castle Rock Spire, the Hi Peaks of the Kaweeaha drainage covered in tons of snow. Nothing at all like this back east.

Enjoy. :wink:

iHartMK

by iHartMK » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:17 am

so which tree is that in the above pic?

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:07 am

butitsadryheat wrote:
Dougb wrote:... Get a ways back in where there's nobody, and the silence will take your breath away. ...

That must be a seasonal thing (would make sense). My son and I hiked and camped in Redwood Canyon in King's Canyon NP and were surprised by how noisy it was during the daytime. Most of the racket was from the sugar pine cones dropping--largest cones in the world (24"), and falling from higher than the giant Sequoias (200+ ft). However, that night the silence was absolutely deafening. As others have said, your sense of scale will be awe struck ...

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:32 pm

I was just in the Upper Tule area yesterday and the big trees are pretty inaccessible unless you've got skis or snowshoes. I'll try to post photos later beautiful, but harder to get to than usual. If you want easier access (and better groves), stick to the park.

Previous

Return to California