Harness Leg Straps Coming Undone

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
blueyonder

by blueyonder » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry to say this (but it might also come as a relief to you): If you have the appropriate size and really have the straps doubled back correctly, it is absolutely (i.e. physically) impossible that they come off ... So, as to question 1: No, this is definitely uncommon. If the straps were attached correctly, I can only guess that your harness might be to large.

Best regards from Switzerland, and enjoy climbing, anyway - it's very safe if done correctly.

B.

At the climing gym last night one of my leg straps came undone during a fall - as in the strap actually came completely back through the buckle. I am 1000% percent positive all of my straps were doubled back and there was plenty of exess remaining. The harness is a Black Diamond Momentum AL which is about 5 months old. I have a few questions that hopefully more expierenced climbers than myself can answer:
1. Is this common?
2. Should I get a new harness/return this one?
3. Anyway to prevent this from happening again?

welle

Re: Harness Leg Straps Coming Undone

by welle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:36 pm

andy29 wrote:I am 1000% percent positive all of my straps were doubled back and there was plenty of exess remaining.

Is your belayer 1000% positive as well?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:45 pm

I don't see how the straps could have come loose if they were properly doubled back - through two and back through one. If you doubled it back through both openings in the buckle, then yeah I can believe it.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:21 pm

andy29 wrote:I am positive they were properly doubled back. My belayer was positive as well - we are meticulous to check each other everytime we rope-in. The leg loops were tight around my thighs; about 3-4 inches excess remained after doubling back. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
Although I am extremely skeptical of your story, if things are truly as you describe, you may have a defective buckle or the strap has been exposed to some slippery substance like DWR or slippery cleaning products. I am guessing user error in threading the buckle though.

welle

by welle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:22 pm

troll?

Return to Gear