Sun Protection

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
jddeetz

Sun Protection

by jddeetz » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:39 pm

I recently got back from a trip to Tahoe and brought back a monster sunburn on my face. I have learned the error of my ways, and have decided to take efforts to protect my skin. I'm not really a fan of lotion style sunscreen as I have noticed it tends to get in my eyes eventually. What does everyone use/recommend in terms of sun protection?

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:06 pm

I can't stand hats, and I hate clothing when it's over 70F, so I always use sunscreen lotion instead. It doesn't ever seem to get in my eyes. Maybe it's because I'm constantly wiping sweat from my eyebrows; I don't know.

Checking now, I see the type is Coppertone Sport SPF 50 (and also SPF 70). But I doubt the brand is the reason I don't have problems. It seems it would still hurt if enough of it got in my eyes, so I suspect it's just not getting there.

rhyang

by rhyang » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 pm

I've long been in the habit of using sunscreen. It's particularly important on snow, because the sunlight gets reflected back up and into your face on places that you would think would be covered or shaded by a hat. btw I like those dorky hats with capes.

I've read that recent surgical scars are particularly vulnerable to skin cancer, and I have them in the front and back of my neck, so those areas get slathered.

I never apply sunscreen above my eyes, because otherwise when I sweat it runs and burns. At higher altitudes the sun is more intense, and you will want to reapply the stuff a few times during the day (Shasta for example).

I personally like the neutrogena sport lotion, spf 55 (I guess now it comes in spf 70 too). It isn't so oily. I also picked up a sunscreen "stick" from REI last year which is kind of convenient.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Aloe Gator gel SPF 40 has a pleasant texture and odor and does not run into my eyes.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:25 pm

I have always found that Dermatone SPF36 in the small tubes is perfect for me. It does not sting when/if it runs and it seems to be extremely persistent, meaning I don't have to frequently reapply it.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:00 pm

if you can get it, I LOVE headhunter sunscreen, especially in the brown versions.

Just a note... there is no efffective difference between SPF 55 and SPF 30, just go with the 30, its cheaper

-CS

JonW

by JonW » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Neutrogena sells this ultra waterproof spf 70 face sport sunblock that I have used a lot. I've never gotten burnt when I've used it and rarely have had to reapply during the day. I find it leaves my face far less oily than most other sunblocks and it has never run into my eyes. I guess if it ran it my eyes it wouldn't be very waterproof. Target seems to stock it pretty regularly.

Climber Dave

by Climber Dave » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:57 pm

I use Coppertone Sport Cream SPF 30 I only have to apply once a day. I had also read that once you get to SPF 30 everything else is just extra $$ without the added protection you think you may be getting. I always wear a hat but if I am in snow I apply above my brow. If I apply it well in advance I usually dont have the problem with it dripping in my eyes.

Just an FYI regarding sunscreens in general check out this link They rate sunscreens have found most of the stuff I use is rated poorly. :shock:

:edit grammer and spelling:
Last edited by Climber Dave on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

asmrz

by asmrz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:15 pm

I second the generic SPF 40 lotion applied in generous quantities. Not above the nose, though.

Worked for me so far..

Also VERY IMPORTANT SPF 15 (minimum) Lip Balm stick on a string (home made, use shoelace and wrap with climbing tape) around one's neck.
Last edited by asmrz on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Ramblindave wrote:I use Coppertone Sport Cream SPF 30 I only have to apply once a day.

Same here... I just don't put too much on the lower forehead and usually isn't an issue, and wear a hat mid-day.

rhyang wrote:I've read that recent surgical scars are particularly vulnerable to skin cancer

That's true. I received a nice gash on my head once, mostly above hairline, and the dr suggested wearing a hat outside for at least the next 6 months- which I did constantly. Not only is it more vulnerable to skin cancer, but the scaring will remain more apparent and not heal nearly as well if it is exposed to much sun during the healing process.

Arthur Digbee

Re: Sun Protection

by Arthur Digbee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:30 pm

jddeetz wrote:What does everyone use/recommend in terms of sun protection?

Uh, don't do this:
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/3 ... urage.html

Also, you can ask around about "the sunburn to prove it," but I'll let others tell that story.

Other than that, you've received some good advice on the thread. It's best to use protection.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:49 pm

One thing to be aware of is that once you get above SPF 30 or 40 the numbers are just game playing. What difference does it make if you get 1/40th of the burning rays or 1/70th? At that level, how well it stays on and continues to protect is more important than the SPF number.

Return to Gear