Montain trips during business trips

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
RayMondo

by RayMondo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Lucky me. The best 9 years of my life as Field Service Engineer. Go to Germany: Trek all over Bavaria and Austria. Ski and Snowboard. Go to Norway. Go to Scotland, winter climb, trek. Go to Japan. Go to US and several trips to trek in Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia. Go to Italy and seriously winter climb and mega cycle. Over 400 flights, and lived in hotels. Phew !! What a life of experiences.

Well, I put my head to study, cramming 3 yrs into 2, and it paid off. Little work since recession, though hoping to return to the same line of work.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 pm

nartreb wrote:Everything about this trip (actually two trips) was weird. Clients called at the last minute, insisted they needed me there in person though my job was mostly to wait around until they did something stupid that crashed their production run. (I wasn't allowed to talk directly to the people in charge of the production run.) This usually happened on a Friday night, but they wanted me to be in their offices during normal 9-5 hours, so I'd twiddle my thumbs all day long, then end up fielding the call on my cell phone in a restaurant or some such, then rushing back to my hotel to get network access just in case the problem was something that had a solution other than "didn't we tell you a million times not to do that?". (If I hadn't flown to California, I'd have gotten the call during my business hours while sitting in front of my computer.) Anyway, after delaying my vacation for the first two-week trip, I fly back to Boston only for my boss to tell me to fly back to LA a couple of days later. I cancelled my vacation plans and repeated the whole scenario. I returned to Logan around midnight one night, slept in a little the next morning, got a call from my boss asking where I was because he needed to see me right away. You guessed it, I got a long vacation after all, because they laid me off. Among the few compensations, I brought my crampons along each time, and managed to sneak out for two hikes up Mt Baldy.

This fits in exactly with my experience and point above. That business is just to bang bang right now. An electric urgency. Lucky you didn't get a call on your way to the TH.

Still there are times. In 2004, I suddenly found myself with two days to kill between meetings in Saigon. I managed to snag a flight out to an island off the coast of Vietnam and summitted whatever this is, the water being too wild for snorkeling or diving.

From the distance

closer

kamil

by kamil » Tue May 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Once packed a blitzkrieg trip to the two highest mountain ranges of Bulgaria just before a conference in Sofia. Two nights in a rented car, one in a mountain hut, and then dirty and unshaven I made an entry to the posh hotel full of the suit and tie-sporting lot. Eric, I added the TR to your list :)
I could add my solo climb of Grossglockner but I don't think visiting the friends' wedding counts as a business trip :lol:

kamil

by kamil » Tue May 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Same as you. Here it is.

visentin

by visentin » Tue May 04, 2010 8:47 pm

kamil wrote:Same as you. Here it is.

Let's start another page about mountain trips during weddings :)

SpiderSavage

by SpiderSavage » Tue May 04, 2010 8:56 pm

My fav was a through exploration of Stone Mountain, Georgia, after doing a trade show in Atlanta.

Miami Beach has no summits but I've hiked the full 10 mile length of it.

Sometimes I'll go for urban high-points like the Empire State building. I'd love to do the stairs next time.

drpw

by drpw » Tue May 04, 2010 10:00 pm

As a small business owner, every trip to the mountains is considered a "team building exercise" or "business retreat".

Previous

Return to General