Jepson Bowl question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Sam Page

Jepson Bowl question

by Sam Page » Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 am

The north side of Jepson Peak (in the San Bernardino Mountains) is split into Big Draw and Little Draw. Which of those draws is Jepson Bowl? I don't think that Jepson Bowl includes both draws, but I guess that's also a possibility.

mdostby

by mdostby » Wed May 19, 2010 5:26 am

Hey Sam, I've always been under the impression that the Jepson Bowl is the area that you were in over the weekend. Roughly from the North Ridge westerly towards and including the chutes and over to the saddle west of Jepson....if that makes sense. I think one of your photos from your blog shows the bowl nicely. The Big Draw I thought was between San Gorgonio and Jepson, east of Jepson's north ridge and really steep north eastern chutes and rocky face.

mdostby

by mdostby » Wed May 19, 2010 5:31 am

Sam Page

by Sam Page » Wed May 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks Mike. That's what I thought, too. But I've heard otherwise. An "official" map labeling Jepson Bowl might settle it.

DaveGill

by DaveGill » Thu May 20, 2010 3:45 am

Jepson Bowl=Big Draw

Blair

by Blair » Thu May 20, 2010 4:01 am

With all due respect Dave, you are wrong.

Ok, from my understanding, The big draw is NE of Jepson peak, sitting between San G. Maybe you were trying to say the Little Draw is Jepson Bowl, which is correct.

The Little Draw, or Jepson Bowl sits between Jepson and Lil' Charlton.

Speaking of The Little Draw, I am skiing it this weekend, anybody going to be up in the SGW?

(San Gorgonio Wilderness)

Return to California